What's new

osage treaty document

dognose

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
4,573
Reaction score
13,191
Golden Thread
0
Location
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
1000018214.webp
1000018210.webp
1000018209.webp


this was at the history museum at forest park st Louis.
 
Upvote 0
I don’t want to be too political, but that seems like a display written from an obvious place of bias… my biggest thought is it really a “destruction” of culture when the Osage openly welcomed European trade goods because it gave them an advantage over their neighbors and was a key to their power during this period, not to mention they openly requested the “black robes” be sent among them to teach their children. I think they were one of the more accepting groups as far as interacting with European culture.
 
Also other things I’m noticing/ thinking… it was the 1825 treaty that pushed them from Missouri and Arkansas, but the treaty wasn’t really the first or only movement of the Osage out of Missouri, when the Spanish pulled the trade license from the choteaus who had a strong relationship of trade with the Osage, they convinced a large number of Osage to move west and settle along the neosho verdigris and Arkansas rivers…. I’ve actually been studying this time and area pretty intensively right now, very interested in the trade era after i found a trade site.

I think that sign paints an unfair picture and has a little questionable information.
 
That’s interesting. I don’t know anything about them but will do some reading and learn something.
 
I don’t want to be too political, but that seems like a display written from an obvious place of bias… my biggest thought is it really a “destruction” of culture when the Osage openly welcomed European trade goods because it gave them an advantage over their neighbors and was a key to their power during this period, not to mention they openly requested the “black robes” be sent among them to teach their children. I think they were one of the more accepting groups as far as interacting with European culture.
We were pretty accepting. The visitors just didn’t understand the arrows being hurled at them was our way of saying hello. 😬
 
Haha yeah I didn’t want to get too deep into it to keep clear. But they were accepting to those they wanted deal with but known to pretty fiercely protect their range against intruders.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom