OT / How many Folks here have been sprayed or chased ??

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to hear your animal stories ok. Here's mine.:

Hi; Yup, I got sprayed.!!! ::) God, I stunk for 10 days. Tomato Juice BATH"S" multiple times a day. Lost a set of clothes and a good set of boots. Lord, I wreaked. My windows in my bedroom HAD TO stay wide OPEN with fan"s" going to blow the stink out of the room. I will "NEVER" go near a polecat again.!! :BangHead: They call them pole cats because their tail points straight North to the North Pole. !!! :laughing7:
When God made those suckers He did it right.!!!
:notworthy: What I'm saying is the Gods honest truth. I was in my back yard having a BBQ and I did not see her. I got to close. 2 seconds later I sure "knew" she was there. Ended that BBQ in 5 seconds flat.!!! :laughing7:
I have a Family of skunks that roam my yard and we all stay back and watch them. we do feed them. Cute little suckers. Mama has sprayed the neighbors dog a few times. We shut the windows real fast for sure. That dog ain't to bright. Good dog but dumb.!!! :icon_scratch:
Anyways, what say ye Folks ?? I await. PEACE:RONB

Posted over there,now here.

Back in 66 I "tried" to release one from a leg hold trap..wrong move,I went home walking up the driveway and my Mom yelled out the door"take those cloths off in the garage".
tongue3.gif

GOD Bless

Chris

Never sprayed or chased, but mauled by an angry mob of fire ants. Over 75 welts, hurt for days, took a month to heal, and 3 months later, still have scars. My left ankle looks like I got a disease...

Hi; BigWaveDave I hope you feel better and heal up quick. I never thought about Rabies either but no one goes near them. We give them a WIDE berth.!!! :laughing7: PEACE:RONB

From my days as a trapper, backing soda and viniger bath it works better than tomato juice.

I saw the title of the thread and thought, pepper sprayed and chased by the police... oh yeah, I got a story.

I think I'd rather deal with the skunk.

a bobcat paced me from the ridge in wva, it finally got
bored and left
had a doe chase me away, i think a fawn in the brush maybe

got skunked once, tomato and vinegar and dish soap didnt work

this recipe worked for the skunk smell
Pour 1 quart of hydrogen peroxide, 1/2 cup of baking soda,
and 1 teaspoon of dishwashing liquid or laundry soap into a large container, then mix

Hi guys; The funny thing is you NEVER forget that smell. Even years later. I can use all the Recipes for getting rid of that stench I can use. Keep them coming Folks. PEAE:RONB

First of all, I doubt that rabies is a problem up there. Secondly, you feed them. You are the "food guy" and if you hadn't startled that guy, he probably woudn't have sprayed. just relax, they are your pets now and just want food and a place to live where it's safe. Take a chair, go sit outside and they will eventually come to you. They want food, so don't make any sudden moves, just put the food down next to you or better yet put it down when you sit down. They will find it and then talk very quietly to them and DON"T MOVE. They will eat, maybe move around you and then wander off. Then get up after they leave and go inside. They are smart, they know you're the food guy and they know where you live. Don't be surprised if they meet you at the door. Great burglar alarm. How it works for me...

Guess I should consider myself lucky. Our cat got sprayed recently (FULLY, right on the chest!) and I could smell it for about 5 minutes. Then, nothing. The wife was nauseous all night long!

....On the other hand, when she's making a wonderfully-smelling dinner, I can smell it for about 5 minutes; then nothing! :BangHead:

I had a close encounter, surprisingly during the day (ones here usually come out after dark).
I was sitting out on the patio in one of those plastic pvc lounge chairs, the ones that creak and squeak. Out of the corner of my eye i see a black and white cat, i thought at first...nope!
Mr. Stinky is slowly meandering around looking for food, goes under my chair and slowly comes out the other side, he is slowly crusing all around for food. I'm trying very hard to not move a muscle so the chair won't creak, cause there is NO FAST EXIT from one of those chairs. He finally meanders off, and i can now exhale!
Whew! Close!

Well.
I'm an animal / Insect Lover /Tree Lover
I have never seen a Skunk around these parts.
Smelled them while going down the road tho, At that time I tho , I thought there was something Growing near by.

Been chased & caught by Yellow Jackets WAY to many times.

When I was about 3 years old (1967), The next door neighbor had a "de-scented" skunk. It lived in a rabbit hutch in their backyard, and I remember playing with it a couple of times.

I don't remember exactly what happened, but one day I got sprayed. I remember the smell, and granny scrubbing me with tomato juice in the backyard. Every time I smell a skunk, it brings back memories of that day.

I have a healthy respect for them now.

Last edited:
Hi; Ain't no defense like a baaaaaaddd Offence.!!!!! :icon_scratch: PEACE:RONB :laughing7:

Estrogen enhances the sense of smell. It's why pregnant women's noses seem to work overtime, and why some foods can't be tolerated during that time (olfactory nerves are connected to taste).

Your wife's shnoz working better than yours is a testament to the fact that you're more manly than she is. When I can't smell something my wife, can, I take it as a compliment. LOL

Cheers,

Skippy
Meanwhile, she's cursing me cause I'm getting a good night's sleep. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back