PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gorgeous place with lots of delicious wild blueberries in August. Did you get a chance to detect?

Lots of family up there. Windjammer sailing cruises go by this area for the scenery. (Bringing back a flood of good memories.)
The point of land as you leave the mainland to the island is named after a relative. (The name came up on a google map but I've seen another name used as well a long time ago.)

My mother even told a story of walking with her (Grand?)father on a path (ca 1929) at our old family homestead which is about 2 miles from the mainland end of the bridge (6 acres overlooking the Sedgwick town docks on the Benjamin River). He would put coins under a rock and told her she could come back when she was grown up and find them! She was so young at the time though that she couldn't remember where they walked or how many times they hid coins!!! By this time though they would be well below the frost line I would think.

Alas, my uncle had to sell the property in about 1985(?) since he couldn't afford the cost of repairs to the 1790 home.

Thanks for the thread.

OP
OP
CreakyDigger

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorgeous place with lots of delicious wild blueberries in August. Did you get a chance to detect?

Lots of family up there. Windjammer sailing cruises go by this area for the scenery. (Bringing back a flood of good memories.)
The point of land as you leave the mainland to the island is named after a relative. (The name came up on a google map but I've seen another name used as well a long time ago.)

My mother even told a story of walking with her (Grand?)father on a path (ca 1929) at our old family homestead which is about 2 miles from the mainland end of the bridge (6 acres overlooking the Sedgwick town docks on the Benjamin River). He would put coins under a rock and told her she could come back when she was grown up and find them! She was so young at the time though that she couldn't remember where they walked or how many times they hid coins!!! By this time though they would be well below the frost line I would think.

Alas, my uncle had to sell the property in about 1985(?) since he couldn't afford the cost of repairs to the 1790 home.

Thanks for the thread.

We stay at Oakland House hotel/cottages on Herrick Rd in Brooksville. The new owners there are not friendly about detecting, although it would be a grand place since the hotel was built in the 1800's and it has been active for over 100 years. I had no other permissions lined up so I didn't take the machine. Here is a link to more pics of the scenery.. Where we sit on the water is on the mainland - the bridge is off to our left, Little Deer is directly across, and we can see a lighthouse on a small island to our right.

We drove through Sedgewick one evening to go to some hippy-dippy restaurant in a house over in Brooklin.

OP
OP
CreakyDigger

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks Quiet,peaceful even!

Yeah it really is. This year I did a little work, which I don't normally do...the wifi there is so bad.....but I needed to oversee a few things. In my reply to Pete's Pocket there is a link to a few more pics. I'm already looking forward to going next year!

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very beautiful place. I can see myself in one of those chairs.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it really is. This year I did a little work, which I don't normally do...the wifi there is so bad.....but I needed to oversee a few things. In my reply to Pete's Pocket there is a link to a few more pics. I'm already looking forward to going next year!

Sorry to hear about missing out on Lob-stah this year because of how expensive it was. (My wife kinda likes her New England "long crab" and would have rented me out for a week if it had been us up there. :laughing7:)
Did you happen to go to the restaurant on Caterpillar Hill and look back over the bay? (On the way between Brooksville & Deer Isle on Rt. 175)
found this image online.
CaterpillarHill-Maine1519131376_506b858aaf_o-700x468.jpg

I had to look it up but I think that must be Pumpkin Island Lighthouse that shows up on Google earth.
You had a great view of windjammer cruises going by.

Half a mile or so before you turn towards Sedgwick, my cousin owns the property across from the closed up auto repair business . Her husband actually ran the shop but had to close due to illness about 15 years ago. Same name as the Point of land leading to Little Deer Isle. My cousin's property actually overlooks the Sedgwick town dock. Ours was about half mile past her property towards Sedgwick.

Great images from your trip. Really enjoyed the images. I haven't been up there since we had a memorial service for Mom up there in 2016. Thanks.
Reach out to me next year before you go and I'll check with her to see if anyone is willing to allow detecting.

PP55

OP
OP
CreakyDigger

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reach out to me next year before you go and I'll check with her to see if anyone is willing to allow detecting.

PP55

Thanks! I will definitely take you up on that offer next year. We did watch a lot of sailboats go by, as well as a few large tour ships. We had planned to eat at El El Frijoles on Caterpillar Hill but it was closed the week we were there. We've been taking trips to the area for the past ten years but it didn't dawn on us until this year that the name is a play on L L Bean. ha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread