Ox Horn Cap

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this earlier this week. It is an ox horn cap; prevents the oxen from gouging each other or the farmers. I found another one a couple weeks ago and had no idea what it was. It invoked a lively debate on the What is It forum...PBK found the picture which ended the debate (go figure).

Like the previous one I found this one is threaded to screw down on the oxen's horn and there is a hole for an anchor screw. I have seen this particular cap on oxen these days at agricultural shows so I knew what it was as soon as I dug it.

Attachments

• oxen.JPG
    oxen.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 407
Upvote 12
That must be a rare find. In my ignorance, how do know its not a walking stick end?

dugupfinds said:
That must be a rare find. In my ignorance, how do know its not a walking stick end?

It would be too small. Plus, I have seen thousands of these still being used today to cap an ox'es horns. Today they are purely decorative as not many farmer's use oxen to clear the fields.

You found the ox thingy and another gold wedding band! You have all the luck.... ;D
Nice find.

I would probably guessed it to be the tip of an old walking cane :D

man you find some cool stuff!

Neat find! I would not have known what it was, now I do, LOL. Thanks for the post and HH, Mike

These are not rare I have found a dozen of them. Oxen where very prevalent in the north east. The ones I find are always flat on one side from the ox horns scraping the ground while grazing.

Cool knob! :occasion14:

I love finding them, they come in many different styles. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back