Pa detecting permit

mikhen

Jan 11, 2011
Oley, Berks County, Pa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
kind of related to another post...

Pa requires you to register, for a fee, your atv/ snow mobile for use on State Land. You need a hunting/ fishing license. This is perfectly fine, if it gives permission to use "their" land. The fee is small, very small. Since metal detecting is a form of recreation, shouldn't the state have areas open for this for a fee?

So, would you pay a fee (small fee) to detect on state land?

I would.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course

But the Historical Preservation act would
prevent any consideration by them.

If the Preservation people had their way,
You couldn't detect your own yard

Till they had the time & enough Government $$$$ to do a test dig.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
some state land can be detected.........
some state parks...........yes
state game land ..........no (can detect but just can't dig or remove anything)

i'd be all for shelling out 10 bucks a yr. or less on a permit to detect on state game land, more profit for the state.

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The law is simple in Pa. NO DIG , you can take a metal detector on state land and look for artifacts but you can not dig with any thing bigger than a ice pick . What if I had a 6 foot ice pick :dontknow: O well , We have located some gold artifacts 8 feet down and we can not dig it up but DCNR has let us drill 3/4" holes to get a core sample. 6 years ago we could not even do this without a BOND. Ted Boriski from DCNR drew up the bond and said they just put it together for us. The problem was that we could not find anyone to do the bond because of the way it was drawen up :icon_scratch:. What we are doing may take time to get this site done, but we are doing it the way DCNR wants it done. They said that what we are doing and how we do it will reflect on how they deal with other treasure hunters . I just hope some good come out of this after 7 years of work at this site :dontknow:.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FinderKeeper said:
The law is simple in Pa. NO DIG , you can take a metal detector on state land and look for artifacts but you can not dig with any thing bigger than a ice pick . What if I had a 6 foot ice pick :dontknow: O well , We have located some gold artifacts 8 feet down and we can not dig it up but DCNR has let us drill 3/4" holes to get a core sample. 6 years ago we could not even do this without a BOND. I got Bond papers from DCNR and this was the first of its kind made up for a dig of this kind . Ted Boriski drew up the bond and said they just put it together. The problem was that we could not find anyone to do the bond because of the way it was drawen up :icon_scratch:. What we are doing may take time to get this site done, but we are doing it the way DCNR wants it done. They said that what we do and how we do it will reflect on how they deal with other treasure hunters . I just hope some good come out of this after 7 years of work at this site :dontknow:.

:thumbsup:

Just one Thought, What happens if the core
Sample brings up
part of a Priceless Relic that can never be Replaced ?

I'm not putting this on You.
I'm putting this on DCNR.

As I'm sure Nothing will Satisfy them but
Physical Evidence in the form of Gold,
Or someting with Writing on it
that can be Traced.

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jeff, I tried to get it through their heads about what damage could be done if I drilled ,but they need to see gold. I agree with what you said. The gold is there and we proved it many times with Ground Radar , Long Range Locator's, GPL, 2 box detectors and just about everything else but the law says I have not proven that gold is there. DCNR does not accept readings from any kind of detectors they will only accept gold on the end of a drill bit. This is their way of keeping me from getting a permit to dig ???. I will play it their way because this find will end up in court someday :read2:

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:coffee2:
7-19-2011
We all need to petition the state on using metal detectors on State Game Lands. I called the PA Game Commission today, because
I wanted to detect the parking lot bordering the SGL (real harm there..ha ha). He said, "NO" and the reason was that is because
what the law states. I spoke to another there at the office the day before and she said it is because of the all the Geo-Caching activities
that were going on.
Now, I dont know about you, but you dont really find alot going detecting. It's more a hobby--it gets you out of the house--you get some exercise,
and you are using the lands that we are all tax abiding citizens on.
The State says they are broke, but they wont issue a permit for detecting??? You need a permit now just to use their shooting ranges.
There is no harm in using a metal detector in the woods for finding shallow targets (coins, jewelry, etc.). Deer tracks make more mess.
Point is...this is a hobby just like hunting and fishing. Alot of those people go and dont even really hunt or fish. It gets people OUT.
I am joining the FMDAC today, just because of today's events. I encourage you all to do the rest so we can petition on this. It is a very minimal
fee to join the FMDAC and that is our best bet. Petition in numbers--and dont be negative about it or nothing will ever happen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread