What's new

First year filing mining claim help - one confused newbie

Jachyrah

Greenie
Joined
Jul 7, 2020
Messages
19
Reaction score
68
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some background:

On January 3rd and February 6th of 2025 I filed with my County location notices for three 20 acre lode mining claim sites. I located them on the ground in Nov/Dec 2024.
I then brought this recording to the BLM office in person and paid the required fees at the counter including new processing, location and maintenance fees totaling $274 per claim.
I had assumed this was fees for the 2024/2025 September calendar year.

I have since done considerable work on all the sites and will continue to hold and maintain them.

Because I had done over $100 labor on all sites so far this year, in August 2025 I filed the Small Miner Maintenance Fee Waiver Certification thinking this was needed instead of paying site fees for the 2025/2026 year.

I received it back that it had been recieved.

I realized today I also should file a Notice of Intent to Hold with the county and BLM asap as it's almost been 12 months and I plan on continuing to hold these.

My primary question is what paperwork is now required before December 30th, 2025?

Is it just a Notice of Intent to Hold OR do I also need to also file an Affidavit of Annual Assessment Work too?

On the form for the small miner waiver I filed out under #4 It states:

4. The undersigned understand that if the assessment work obligation has not yet come due under 30 U.S.C. 28 (for those claims in their first assessment year only), a notice of intent to hold reciting this condition must be recorded by the December 30th following the filing of this waiver.

This has led me to understand I should not file the Affidavit until next year 2026 if I file the small miner waiver again before Sept 2026 being this is the first year for the claims?

Also my second question, on the Notice of Intent to Hold form I am filing out, asks to check an applicable box.

For my situation am I checking a box for:

Maintenance Fees have been paid to BLM for each claim or site
OR
Claimant has filed a Maintenance Fee Waiver with BLM
OR
Claim was Located during the current assessment year

To me technically all three of these are true... I'm so confused lol

My last question somewhat unrelated:

In doing further work on the sites I have discovered areas of greater importance. I am wondering if it's possible to slightly adjust the boundary lines for the 20 acre sites to more accurately cover the areas I want to work. Respecting the surrounding existing claims of others etc.
I assume this might be possible if I just just filed an updated map with my County?
If so, what forms(s) and fee(s) might be required for this?

Any help would be much appreciated! This is my first year filing a claim(s) etc and I don't want to mess it up.

PS: I also might be totally wrong and when first locating and filing etc. and paying the maintenance fee in January 2025, this applied to the September 2025-September 2026 calendar year and I didn't need to file a waiver or pay maintenance fee before Sept 2025 and only need to file the intent to hold before Dec 30 2025!?:confused:
 
Jachyrah,

Welcome to the forum! :hello:

Forums are wonderful places to learn and get advice (except legal advice). Answers to one question will get many answers and many questions will get exponentially more answers! Many talented and gifted users in a forum like this!

A qualified mining attorney costs money. You need to talk directly to the BLM public room near you. They will give the best advice in your specific case. They can look at your case file and answer your specific questions.

- Geowizard
 
Our tax dollars pay for many services like the help desks at the BLM public rooms. BLM has many resources on filing mining claims and the surrounding regulations controlling all aspects of mining claim ownership.

If a person can navigate to this forum, then https://www.blm.gov is a shoe-in! :thumbsup:

Mining claims?


Brochure?


- Geowizard
 
Last edited:
First off A.I. can be wrong so take it with a grain of salt but I put what you said in Grok and this is what it says to do.

Before December 30, 2025, you need to file a Notice of Intent to Hold (NOIH) with both your county recorder and the BLM (plus a $15 processing fee per claim to the BLM). You do not need to file an Affidavit of Annual Assessment Work (Proof of Labor) this year.

blm.gov
Your situation matches the exact condition described in #4 on the Small Miner Maintenance Fee Waiver Certification (Form 3830-2) you already filed in August 2025: these are claims in their first assessment year (the initial maintenance fee you paid at recording in Jan/Feb 2025 covered the assessment year of location, which ran from September 1, 2024, through August 31, 2025). Assessment work under 30 U.S.C. § 28 has not yet come due for the next assessment year (September 1, 2025–August 31, 2026), which is the one your waiver covers. Therefore, you file the NOIH by December 30, 2025, reciting that condition (instead of an affidavit).

reginfo.gov
  • The NOIH is a simple letter/notice (no official BLM form; BLM provides suggested formats) that states you intend to hold the claims for the calendar year in which the assessment year ends. It must include your BLM serial numbers, claim names, your current mailing address, the reason (assessment work not yet required because these are in their first assessment year + you filed the waiver), and your signature(s). File it with the BLM (with the $15/claim fee) and record it with the county.

    blm.gov
  • On the county NOIH form you mentioned (the one with the three checkboxes), check “Claimant has filed a Maintenance Fee Waiver with BLM”. That is the accurate and applicable box here. The initial $200 maintenance fee you paid at recording was the initial fee for the assessment year of location (2025 AY). It does not count as the annual maintenance fee for the current waiver-covered year (2026 AY), and your claims were not located “during the current assessment year” relative to this December 2025 filing.

    sierracounty.ca.gov
If you file another small-miner waiver next August/September 2026 (for the 2027 assessment year), then you would file the Affidavit of Annual Assessment Work by December 30, 2026, showing the $100+ in labor/improvements performed during the 2026 assessment year.

blm.gov +1
Your PS is a common point of confusion, but you did it correctly. The $274 per claim you paid in Jan/Feb 2025 was the required new-claim package (processing $25 + location $49 + initial maintenance $200) for claims located after September 1, 2024. That initial maintenance fee covered only the assessment year of location (September 1, 2024–August 31, 2025). To hold the claims for the next assessment year (September 1, 2025–August 31, 2026), you correctly filed the waiver in August 2025 instead of paying another $200. Filing the waiver early does not change the deadlines.

blm.gov +1
For slightly adjusting the boundary lines: Yes, this is possible if the change does not enlarge the overall size of any 20-acre claim, does not overlap existing claims of others, and is essentially a correction/repositioning of boundaries (e.g., to better align with the vein or fix a description error while staying within the original 20 acres). You cannot use an amendment to increase the claim size or add new ground.

govinfo.gov
Process (federal rules + your state/county requirements):
  1. Prepare and record an Amended Certificate of Location (or Amended Notice of Location) with your county recorder first. Include an updated map showing the revised boundaries. Clearly mark it as “Amended” and reference the original BLM serial number(s).
  2. Within 90 days after county recording, file a copy of the amended document + updated map with the BLM (your state office or via MLRS if available). Include a $15 processing fee per claim.
  3. No new location fee or maintenance fee is required for a proper amendment.
This amended filing relates back to your original location date. Double-check the exact map and description requirements with your county recorder and BLM state office (they handle the specifics for your area), and confirm on the ground that the new boundaries respect all surrounding claims and monuments. If the adjustment is more than a minor correction, it could be treated as a new location in part—consult your BLM mining claims examiner if unsure.

blm.gov
Quick tips to avoid issues:
  • Keep copies of everything and note your BLM serial numbers.
  • All filings (NOIH this year, future affidavits, amendments) must be done with both the county and BLM.
  • Deadlines are strict—no grace periods for maintenance/waiver or the December 30 FLPMA filings.
  • Your work performed so far counts toward future affidavits, but document it properly (dates, descriptions, costs/labor).
This is your first year, so it feels overwhelming, but you’re actually on track. If you want the most precise answer for your exact county/BLM state office, call the BLM mining claims section in your state office (they are helpful with first-timers) or check their current packet on blm.gov. Everything above is based on current BLM regulations (43 CFR Parts 3830–3836) and official guidance. You’ve got this—congrats on the claims and the work you’re putting in!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom