Panning for gold in the Llano River Texas

prospectingnewbie

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,
I'm new to panning for gold and was hoping to find some advice on Gold vs Pyrite. I visited the Llano River recently and loaded up a couple of 5gal buckets of river gravel/dirt to try panning when I got home (since I was waiting for my first panning kit to arrive in the mail). When my kit finally came in I got to sifting then panning the material to see what I could find. When I got down to the black sand concentrates I noticed a lot of small (pin head sized flakes) that were in the mix. At first glace I thought the were gold. However, when I swirl a small amount of water over the concentrates the flakes seem to flow with the black sand. From what I've read and seen in videos gold should "stick" to the bottom of the pan while everything else flows away. I'm aware of the characteristics of larger pieces of pyrite from previous geology courses I took in college, and have found some larger pieces of pyrite in my pans from the same material. However, these flakes are so small it's hard to tell. You can't "crush" them because of their size, changing the lighting seems to have no effect on the luster, but yet they're light enough for the water to move them. I thought about the water tension and added a few drops of jet dry as I have heard suggested, but get the same results. Any suggestions as to how I can verify which one it is when they are that small? Has anyone prospected the Llano river and experienced the same thing? Just curious and looking to learn.

Thanks,
ProspectingNewbie

Upvote 0

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A bit off topic , have you tried the Balconi"s Ranch. It's a public area now near Marble Falls. I've heard rumors--

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pyrite will change color depending on which side of it you are looking at. If you pan correctly, the pyrite will swirl around with the lighter materials, and gold will stay with the black sands. If you pan really well, the gold will be right at the edge of the black sands. Spend a few bucks on ebay and get a little vial of gold dust and pickers to play with. That way, you won't be wondering what it looks like. You can also use it for panning practice.

OP
OP
P

prospectingnewbie

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rodoconnor - No I haven't tried or even heard of that place. This venture to the Llano River was my first ever attempt at panning. However, it would make sense that there could be some traces that are in that area simply because it's downstream from the Llano uplift. The river could have possibly carried some that far especially during flood situations. I'll have to add it to my list of places to check out sometime. Especially since it's even closer to where I live than Llano is. ;)

Kazcoro - I had thought of that, but haven't done it yet. I wasn't expecting to have that much confusion since I'm very familiar with larger pieces of pyrite and their characteristics. I guess I will need to do that. And it may very well be bad technique on my part since I am super new to this. I thought my technique was pretty good because everything seemed to go exactly as I read and saw in videos. I might just be swirling the pan just a little too hard in the final looks. I guess having an experienced panner would be a benefit to have with me and show me if I am doing anything wrong. I just haven't met anyone like that around here yet.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also there is a place called Baby Head Mt in the Lake Buchannon area that has gold. I know, no mountains in Tx.and Lake B. is no small area. G/L

OP
OP
P

prospectingnewbie

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rodoconnor,
I've heard of that place before just wasn't exactly sure where it was. I know that there is an old abandoned sold mine somewhere in that vicinity from what I've read. I might need to look into some of the creek beds and river beds flowing into the northern part of Lake Buchanan.. hmmmm.. Thankks

OP
OP
P

prospectingnewbie

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keitha,
Thanks for the link. I had seen the group on the GPAA's website but when I clicked their link it was a dead page. I appreciate the working link a lot since the RR Chapter is very close to where I live.

Thanks again

Rschooler

Greenie
Mar 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A bit off topic , have you tried the Balconi"s Ranch. It's a public area now near Marble Falls. I've heard rumors--

Rodoconnor I will be moving to marble falls or kingsland area sometime in 2015. If you aren't opposed would love if you shed a little more light on this location. Visited the Llano river on my visit at the beginning of April. I did not have any prospecting supplies with me but the geology of the area looked promising to me.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rschooler, my brother has a ranch right next door to Balconi's. I've been there a few times. I'll get directions to BR from Marble Falls. The MF area looks like it may have possibilities geologicly speaking. At least the limestone has been broken through.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread