Panning in Illinois

Tourezrick

Nov 2, 2006
South Side of Chicago (the baddest part of town)
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Well, I woulda posted in the previous Illinois Panning post, but since it was over 120 days since the last activity, the suggestion was to start a new post. Been reading a lot that says that the only gold to be found in Northern Illinois is in glacial moraines. Finally - some luck! I've got 2 moraines - at least 150 feet tall, with many seasonal streams running down the sides. Heck, this whole area is glacial till, and I can think of a half dozen streams that run year around, with gravel bars in them. So, since the ground is frozen and I can't coin shoot or relic hunt, maybe I'll do some panning . . . . as soon as the pans and combo pick-hoe thingy I ordered arrives. Anyone wishing to join in the hunt - give me a pm! I'm retired - lots of free time.

Tourezrick
if'n I hits it big - I'm changin the name to '49'er Rick

Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Mr. T,

sounds like cold and wet hands and feet ;)

But I wish you the best.

Don't take the batteries out of your detector
yet. Ground is still good, under the leaves in
the woods.

After you have been panning I recommend Finland's
Bear Leather Dressing. Made in Farmington Hills, MI.
Works good on the hands even if it is a leather dressing.

have a good un.................

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
rick your going to have to dig deep for the gold in Ill. try to look for bedrock out croppings along the creeks. the gold will be on bedrock. and it will be real small in most cases!

OP
OP
Tourezrick

Tourezrick

Nov 2, 2006
South Side of Chicago (the baddest part of town)
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Bedrock hereabouts is limestone, and under 20 - 80 feet of overburden. Guess I'll be looking behind boulders and on inside of bends. Gotta move to Arizona! All we have here in Chicago is da Bulls, da Bears, da Sox 'n Cubs, da Hawks, AND we have Jenny Finch! Hey, I like it here! Yeah, almost forgot the Wolves and the Bandits, closest we come to winners!

Tourezrick

tlbm9902

Greenie
Jan 6, 2006
Hey Tourezrick, Im the one who started the last post about Illinois. Where are you located, I just moved to Dyer Indiana From Midlothian 147th and Pulaski. The only moraines I could think of are around Moraine Valley west of Palos. I tries a couple of creeks here in Indiana and in Kankakee with no luck.

M

midwest_prospector

Rick,

You need to get a pair of "trapper's gloves," They are heavy duty and waterproof for digging in gravel and have rubber sleeves that go all the way to the shoulder with a strap in between to keep them from sliding down. I think Cabela's may sell them or any local trapping outfitter should have em'. I've been using them years for winter panning and even dredging and they hold up really well. You really should consider getting a copy of my book also, I think it would be invaluable to you if you plan on looking for glacial gold deposits in Illinois, there are many places besides moraines where good glacial gold can be found. Just a thought.

Chuck Lassiter www.midwestprospector.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread