Parrot Bots

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's with the apparent parrot bots that I see posting here frequently here now?
I have reported them to admin, but never hear back.

These "members" grab a snippet from someone else's response and use it as a reply to someone else. Checking that "persons" forum posts shows they do this on a regular basis.

The odd thing is people "like" the repeated comment?!

One might not have to scroll down very far in the forum to see an example.

Last edited:
OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not the first time.

I'm just wondering what someone could "like" about someone randomly repeating what someone else said. Figure some nerd having fun playing with some programming language they just learned.

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I noticed, since you posted this, one "haility" copying verbatim, other's replies. Makes no sense.

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Least you didn't "like" it.

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I reviewed the last instance which I reported and see that the apparent "parrot bot" message had been deleted.
Hopefully they can look at IP addresses to see if there is a common origin.

Jul 31, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I reviewed the last instance which I reported and see that the apparent "parrot bot" message had been deleted.
Hopefully they can look at IP addresses to see if there is a common origin.

Figure some nerd having fun playing with some programming language they just learned.

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then of course there is an instance in this thread where the account Christopher883 was created for the purpose of making a joke by repeating part of what I said previously in message #3.
Unless the offending programmer saw my post and decided to launch another bot., it was probably someone trying to be funny.
-------------
Per wiki:
Bots are used to increase traffic counts on analytics reporting to extract money from advertisers. A study by comScore found that 54 percent of display ads shown in thousands of campaigns between May 2012 and February 2013 never appeared in front of a human being.[13]
------------
Basically if they can write the script clever enough, the bot can evade detection (thus removal) and continue to post useless drivel which advertisers ignorantly see as successful advertising.

Last edited:
OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Per the TNET rules:

You may not.... Impersonate, imitate, pretend to be, or mock another member.

I'd say repeating what someone else says (other than in a quote) is imitating and when the terms include "I did this" or "I found this"..that's impersonation.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is issue you think needs addressed report it and then leave it to the mods to address, you do not address it in open forums.

This thread is closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread