Greenie
Feb 1, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ryan,
As you know I am also a newbie, but I found this video by a Garrett Engineer to be extremely helpful as he explains and demonstrates how a bottle cap produces "tone roll-off" in Pro mode He also explains and demonstrates how to confirm the iron/bottle cap with iron audio. Look especially between the 9 and 13 minute mark. Hope this helps.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think you are understanding what they are saying set iron disc to whatever you want run with iron audio off when you get a questionable hit turn iron audio on to see if there are any discriminated iron in target. Bottle caps are pretty easy they go low high low when going over them. Aluminum screw caps still fool me if they are deep. But if aluminum is shallow it will still sound off if you raise your coil pretty high. Dig everything that you have a question on and that's how you will learn the detector. That goes for all detectors pretty sure there isn't a detector made that will tell you what for sure is in the ground. It's reading conductivity of a target and aluminum is a great conductor like copper and silver. Dig, dig and dig some more and you will learn the sounds and when you can pass on a target but you will still get fooled sometimes that's just part of the hobby.

OP
OP
D

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Honestly its even better if you just dig up everything. I was checking air tests and gold / silver is very much all over the board. So with that said I am using it as a tool and I am digging anything that's not iron :)

Silver is very rarely all over the board your observation is not normal. Now gold, that is all over the board. A very fat very shallow 14k gold ring will break into the high pitch like silver on a lot of machines. A ten inch deep silver dime might sound like a nail on a lot of machines. So yes, dig it all.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
The Iron "grunt low tone'' is actually with iron audio off....

Yes exactly. IA is for people that cant decide if a cheesy high pitch scratchy crappy signal is a bottle cap or a clad quarter. IA allows a target that normally sounds like iron to sound mid tone, if the target is above the iron scrim number, but below the high pitch range. Iron Audio allows a very distinctive response to targets in the range below the iron scrim number. But screw all that crap. Just learn the machine with IA off. Thank me later.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
atpro is so good at bottle cap id that I prefer it for bottle caps when I do a trash throw down. I never dig nails, they are so hard to pp with dd I cant find them without digging a bomb crater.

OP
OP
D

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A little update! I've put 20 hours on the AT pro. It's a clad killer. But, the real test didn't prove me much. I took the Pro to a place that I killed with the F2. It didn't even find one penny! I did get a bottle cap though. So there's either nothing deeper which I know there is because it's an old park, or the at pro I have is defective, which I doubt. I will put another 20 hours on this unit, and if I'm still not impressed, I'll most likely sell it. I'll be uploading a video for depth testing soon, as well as air test and iron audio test. I think it's a great detector, but the only major difference between lower end models, is it can go for a swim, which really doesn't matter to me. Thanks all for advice.

-Ryan

Sent from my expensive phone I really don't need

OP
OP
D

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
atpro is so good at bottle cap id that I prefer it for bottle caps when I do a trash throw down. I never dig nails, they are so hard to pp with dd I cant find them without digging a bomb crater.
I can't tell between a zinc penny or a bottle cap, wether the iron audio is on or not

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can call a bottle cap before I dig it just to prove its a bottle cap to someone. Give it more time. I was at an old park on sun and didn't find any silver but found a bunch of clad. Detectors have been going to this park since detectors were made lol. There were two other guys hunting with me and all they found was clad too and one of them had a detector that cost over $1000 not going to say the brand so don't ask it wasn't a Garrett. The silver is way to deep or the silver is very scarce since it's been pulled out of the park for years and it hasn't replenished with silver. Think about it lol. The pro will work good for you if you give it a chance but if you don't like it that's fine too because you can't please everyone and some peoples expectations are a bit high. Maybe someday they will make a detector that will do all the work for you and even dig the target for you. There isn't a machine out there that I know of that is going to find the silver if you don't swing over it. Good luck.

Last edited:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A little update! I've put 20 hours on the AT pro. It's a clad killer. But, the real test didn't prove me much. I took the Pro to a place that I killed with the F2. It didn't even find one penny! I did get a bottle cap though. So there's either nothing deeper which I know there is because it's an old park, or the at pro I have is defective, which I doubt. I will put another 20 hours on this unit, and if I'm still not impressed, I'll most likely sell it. I'll be uploading a video for depth testing soon, as well as air test and iron audio test. I think it's a great detector, but the only major difference between lower end models, is it can go for a swim, which really doesn't matter to me. Thanks all for advice.

-Ryan

Just because it's old DOES NOT necessarily mean there are deep coins hiding in it. You may want there to be and you may believe they are there, but they just simply may not!

If you put the time in on the ATP, it will show its brilliance. I went weeks on it before it finally showed its depth when I first got it. At first I wasn't impressed with the depth either and was pretty put off on it (I was using an MXT Pro & a Vx3 at the time also). I had to force myself to use it and learn it! I'm glad I did.
Once I clicked with it, we really started working well together. To the point where when I was using my either of Whites, I was starting to to wonder if I was missing stuff w/them. It got to the point where I just stopped using em altogether and traded em off... and I loved both those detectors.

The point about the only diff between the ATP and entry level detectors is the ability to get wet…Can't disagree more! I have an F2 & a Compadre an while both are super fine entry level detectors, there's no no way that can compete with the overall package of the ATP. That said, in certain environments detectors like the F2 or the Compadre will find as much as any other detector out there because if a detectorist is honest (yeah right), most of their finds are <6" and most models of name brand detectors can hit that. (salt/heavy mineralized soils excluded)

I admit that most of my finds could have been accomplished with my F2, my Compadre or even my 70yo mothers Ace 250 if I just put the coil over it. But it's the ones they can't reach, the one they will miss, that's what my ATP is for. What my ATP can't get my CZ-3D will but that's a whole other story!

Only you can decide what's right or not right for you, what you like/don't like, what you trust or don't trust. In the end if it's not for you, it's not for you.

I'll add a couple of links to threads that may or may not help. Good luck!
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garrett/356743-patiently-awaiting-new-pro.html
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garrett/359921-my-new-favorite-detector.html

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't tell between a zinc penny or a bottle cap, wether the iron audio is on or not Sent from my expensive phone I really don't need

What kind of bottle caps are you finding most of? Rusty old ones or newer shiny ones? The caps around me hit way higher on tone and VDI than a Zincoln on my AT and the zincs don't make a grunt with IA on.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted my thoughts but they were deleted. Come on man, detectorpro should change his name if he can't figure out how to use Iron Audio on bottle caps. I am a skeptic. I don't believe it.

Yes, the Long Range Locators page has a ton of alias identities, too. These guys don't post of the other forums because it will get deleted. Here it works just the opposite.

Last edited:

GreenHat

Mar 3, 2014
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This thread is bogus.

^^^^ I'm with this guy. This is just an entire bogus hatorade thread. My AT PRO is the first and only detector I have touched and 10hrs in I knew I didn't know the detector and had a lot to learn but even I could tell what a bottle cap was after I dug up about 10 of them and learned to use the iron audio.
I'm looking for the smiley waiving the BS flag.. we need that one added admin.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not everyone has the same experiences or is on the same awesomeness scale as some of you!

OP
OP
D

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What kind of bottle caps are you finding most of? Rusty old ones or newer shiny ones? The caps around me hit way higher on tone and VDI than a Zincoln on my AT and the zincs don't make a grunt with IA on.

Both. Mostly newer ones. Both zinc pennies and bottle caps read the same tone and ID. The ID Number for both is 74-75

OP
OP
D

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I posted my thoughts but they were deleted. Come on man, detectorpro should change his name if he can't figure out how to use Iron Audio on bottle caps. I am a skeptic. I don't believe it. Yes, the Long Range Locators page has a ton of alias identities, too. These guys don't post of the other forums because it will get deleted. Here it works just the opposite.

I took the name because that's what came to mind. I also mastered my f2. I do consider myself a pro on the F2.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions