AT Pro or Gold ?

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't see much about the All Metal Mode. My opinion is that is like a whole other detector. Also the Ground Balance Window is a nice feature when working on uneven ground. It helps to smooth out the threshold.

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gold doesn't have notch disc. Go for the pro, or better, go for a fisher f5

Sent from my expensive phone I really don't need

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an AT Gold. It has a set notched program DISC 2 to notch out pull tabs and some foil. I rarely use it unless it is extreme trash, then I really don't like detecting there anyway. I think most people who own one will tell you it is more machine than the Pro. I really like the All Meal Mode and use it about half the time. It's about two inches deeper. Of course it takes some learning but you can learn a lot more about the target in AMM especially size and shape. The small, sharp targets are the non-ferrous.

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an AT Gold. It has a set notched program DISC 2 to notch out pull tabs and some foil. I rarely use it unless it is extreme trash, then I really don't like detecting there anyway. I think most people who own one will tell you it is more machine than the Pro. I really like the All Meal Mode and use it about half the time. It's about two inches deeper. Of course it takes some learning but you can learn a lot more about the target in AMM especially size and shape. The small, sharp targets are the non-ferrous.

I agree but then again, I still have much to learn about my AT Gold.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get in touch with Clive Clynick (clivesgoldpage) and ask him which is his best book for learning All Metal Mode. You will learn it much faster than going it alone (If you are like me, never). His latest book "Gold Jewelry Hunters Handbook" has a lot of good info in it but also a lot of water hunting.

Last edited:

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold doesn't have notch disc. Go for the pro, or better, go for a fisher f5 Sent from my expensive phone I really don't need
why do you always come on here and tell people to go with an f5 instead of a pro? I don't go on the fisher forum and tell people to buy the pro. It gets old if you don't like the Garrett machines then go talk up you fisher on that forum and get rid of your pro and buy your beloved f5!

billyjoe42

May 10, 2007
Placer Co, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, White's M6, Gray Ghost Amphibians, Sun Ray Gold, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT Gold excellent for prospecting, as in CA Mother Lode & AZ mineralized ground. It sounds off on birdshot, a good reminder that you're tuned right for nuggets & meteorites. Also very capable on coin & jewelry hunts. Bit of a learning curve, but a pretty straightforward machine with very nice features.

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
id buy the gold the pro loves bottle caps way too much u will see if u get the pro. seen it a few times guy buys the pro frustrated with bc"s iding 83 like a quarter and sells it for the gold problem solved but dont put yourself through the agony pony up the extra and get the gold the stock 5x8 is better also

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
id buy the gold the pro loves bottle caps way too much u will see if u get the pro. seen it a few times guy buys the pro frustrated with bc"s iding 83 like a quarter and sells it for the gold problem solved but dont put yourself through the agony pony up the extra and get the gold the stock 5x8 is better also
i don't have any problems with bottle caps but I guess I know how to use the machine also. The at pro is a good all around detector the gold is geared more for relic and gold. It's going to be hotter in all metal mode but it will drive you nuts in all metal in a heavy trash area so thats where the disc modes come into play. If you plan to hunt any salt water beaches than don't even think about the gold it won't balance out the salt. Good luck on your research.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread