What's new

✅ SOLVED Part of horse harness?

postalgriff

Silver Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2008
Messages
2,801
Reaction score
1,093
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys! Found this today at an old farm from the 1850’s. Found near the barn. I’m guessing it’s part of the horse harness or bridle? Does anyone know for sure? Thanks...
 

Attachments

  • BE866B78-00C2-4406-8EFA-D110D3560F25.webp
    BE866B78-00C2-4406-8EFA-D110D3560F25.webp
    950.9 KB · Views: 117
  • A5AB8297-A2F1-41C2-A030-7A57B45CE612.webp
    A5AB8297-A2F1-41C2-A030-7A57B45CE612.webp
    411 KB · Views: 77
It remotely resembles the buckle on a cinch for a western saddle. But, not any modern ones I have seen.

It's really cool though.

That is to say it does look like a buckle for tightening some sort of leather strap.
 
Upvote 0
Now that's one interesting looking buckle find, my first thought was that it's European in origin. :icon_scratch:

Hopefully, someone here will recognize what it is.

Dave
 
Upvote 0
Theres a whole chapter on Horse related finds in best relic book of all time Bill Dancys Book Virginia' colonial artifacts, you can get the second printing directly from author bdancy97@charter.net,, I can' t put mine down

Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 8.02.52 AM.webp

A comprehensive book that doubles as both a how-to-manual as well as a colonial artifact encyclopedia that will benefit not only the serious digger and collector of early artifacts, but also provide a valuable resource for metal detecting enthusiasts
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 8.05.59 AM.webp
    Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 8.05.59 AM.webp
    32.7 KB · Views: 65
Upvote 0
Theres a whole chapter on Horse related finds in best relic book of all time Bill Dancys Book Virginia' colonial artifacts, you can get the second printing directly from author bdancy97@charter.net,, I can' t put mine down

View attachment 1879410

A comprehensive book that doubles as both a how-to-manual as well as a colonial artifact encyclopedia that will benefit not only the serious digger and collector of early artifacts, but also provide a valuable resource for metal detecting enthusiasts
thanks for the tip on the book. Looks like a good resource tool and I’m sure anyone could learn a lot from it. I’m guessing this is a harness buckle. I’ve seen a couple similar examples, but not exact since I’ve posted this.
 
Upvote 0
Theres a whole chapter on Horse related finds in best relic book of all time Bill Dancys Book Virginia' colonial artifacts, you can get the second printing directly from author bdancy97@charter.net,, I can' t put mine down

A comprehensive book that doubles as both a how-to-manual as well as a colonial artifact encyclopedia that will benefit not only the serious digger and collector of early artifacts, but also provide a valuable resource for metal detecting enthusiasts

Thanks very much for this info Amergin. :thumbsup:
Unfortunately, when I tried to order the first edition of Bill's book a few years ago, I was told it sold out in four months.
Dave
 

Attachments

  • s-l1700.webp
    s-l1700.webp
    170.5 KB · Views: 72
  • s-l1600.webp
    s-l1600.webp
    102.7 KB · Views: 66
Upvote 0
It is part of a harness .. It is called a "trace carrier"
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom