Past Problems with the State of Florida and their Archaeology staff and permitting

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as the State is not a Charter member!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My vote would be yes... Personally I think the subject "crosses no lines".

Not to mention the subject is a fundamental part of the foundation of ... and addresses the "life" within and herein this website.

But more importantly ... to allow this here and not label it a "pollitcal discussion" is important for a forum such as this to allow this...

FOR... you may not have a voice elsewhere.

WHICH... helps no one ... INCLUDING Tnet.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really dont see a problem providing real life experiences to the reality of the permit process.

(I could see it getting out of hand pretty quickly though)

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ripping people off is becoming more popular all the time... all types of people are guilty of it, including those running things for the state of Florida.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel that the lessons learned, can help people in further process, either word craft the permit to avoid issues, or to provide a response to an issue.

It will also help people to make an economic decision to either pursue an adventure (ie permitting costs/delay cost) or not.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well I for one had huge issues --- I was applying for a permit for the Amelia island wrecksite I know of (1715 fleet era VIP and royal treasure recovery vessel ---a barkolonga type vessel sent from Havana ,Cuba to the 1715 wrecksites --it was to recover royal treasure and VIP type persons and get them out of the area before raiders showed up)-- I turned over my research paperwork which justified my claim to the state archies -- Dr Wheeler and his underling which later on went to work for LAMP --they told me that while my research w3as "solid"-- the permit was a "no go" due to the fact it might "disturb" the ocean bottom in the "preserve area" --when I pointed out two facts to them #1 the maps of the area say that the bottom is "quick sands --thus always shifting so there is no real "soild bottom" to speak off and #2 they have in te past let the army corp of engineers dredge the sands off the southern end of Amelia island (right where the wreck area is ) and pump it on the shoreline for "beach renourishment " and brother if that isn't "disturbing the bottom" what is? ---plus I pointed out t6hat the stuff pumped on the beach could be found by metal detector folks with 0% going to the state --if they properly issued a salave permit the state gets 20% of the finds --they have a fiscal duty to get that 20% for the public coffers ---their reply was simply to ban metal detecting on the southern tip of Amelia island and the northern tip area of Talbot island

meerrden

Apr 15, 2019
rock spring
Detector(s) used
minelab ctx 3030 current just got. owned garrett 300 or 350?
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just getting started again. am heading to the keys for 7 days on a 10 day vacation [ first time in 30 years]. A friend warned me about permits being required to metal detect now and increased areas forbidden to hunt. Trying to avoid trouble and really enjoy starting to work with my minelab ctx 3030. I should be reading my manual and other books before starting but am having to do legal research first. first 2 week ends in may is vacation. I also need info for georgia and tennessee./ It would be nice for some location tips as well. charles smith [email protected]

meerrden

Apr 15, 2019
rock spring
Detector(s) used
minelab ctx 3030 current just got. owned garrett 300 or 350?
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are the same laws still in effect as when you tried to get the permit??

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
its the state of florida archie dept -- simply put they despise for profit treasure salvors … they love to trick salvors into doing "free research" for them by offering all the "exploratory " permits you want ...but after you do all the work and spend the money , when its time to issue the actual money making "salvage permit" its NO GO … leaving you broke ...they have done this for years now ...same old tired trick --I can not recall when the last NEW "salvage permit" was issued that was not related to a already pre existing shipwreck claim from the past

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions