89.1 KB · Views: 148

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't know if it is or not, but that looks suspiciously much like an oil cover off of an old treadle sewing machine.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 8

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just tidying up some blasts from the past (including some very ancient ones), largely for the benefit of anyone searching the site for information.

Thatā€™s the sliding cover from an inkwell by the Sanford Manufacturing company of Chicago:

View attachment 2130729
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/pat-1885-smco-sanford-mfg-co-chicago-1928618002
And here I thought (before I'd finished the thread) that I'd found a possible clue...
1707927742075.png

Sommer & Mills Co., North Attleboro MA

But there's no arguing it's the ink bottle cover.
Funny how some trademarks can be so similar...

Upvote 1

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And here I thought (before I'd finished the thread) that I'd found a possible clue...

Sommer & Mills Co., North Attleboro MA

But there's no arguing it's the ink bottle cover.
Funny how some trademarks can be so similar...

Yes, trademark monograms are a PITA to interpret arenā€™t they (second only to artist signatures). I take fleabay seller identifications with a large pinch of salt, but in this case itā€™s confirmed by by fact that Sanford acquired the rights to Redington & Freemanā€™s ā€˜bottle coverā€™ patent.

Sanford2.jpg

The cork stopper would be removed from the ink bottle and replaced with the sliding cover. Sanford marketed it as part of their ā€˜Universal Ink Standā€™ and, in advertising, claimed it to be the only practical stand with a permanent cover that met the demand for a five or ten cent ink.

Upvote 2

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sanford marketed it as part of their ā€˜Universal Ink Standā€™ and, in advertising, claimed it to be the only practical stand with a permanent cover that met the demand for a five or ten cent ink.
"What this country needs is a good 5Ā¢ cigar INK!" šŸ¤£
ā€”NOT Thomas R. Marshall, Vice President to Woodrow Wilson

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread