Pavement Prospecting (6 Month Results) w/Photos

Gary18

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN8173.JPG DSCN8174.JPG DSCN8176.JPG Car 3.jpg Car 4.jpg Car 1.jpg DSCN8169.JPG

In mid February of this year I decided to try and see how many coins I could find by simply being more aware of my surroundings and keeping my eyes open. About 95% of the coins I found were on the ground and the other 5% were found in CoinStar machines. I hope the images I attached came out all right. So here goes......From February 14 to today August 13, 2021 I found a total of 1,210 coins. That averages out to about 6 coins a day. Total face value was $60.13. Hopefully in the attached images you can see the pile of coins loose, stacked and in the vase I keep them in. 813 pennies, 78 nickels, 211 dimes and 108 quarters. The number one place for finding the coins was the car wash (see photo of stacked quarters) followed by parking lots and big box stores. Below listed are some of the statistics which I thought were interesting:

Most Coins Found Together--59 These were found in a car wash bay and I included a photo for you to see (it doesn't quite show all of them). This was essentially a "plume" of pennies on the concrete.
Most Coins Found in One Day--67 See above, and I found 8 more in other locations.
Most Unusual Find--15 Wheat Pennies together. What was amazing was that these 15 wheats were in the bunch of 59 pennies mentioned above.
Oldest Coin--1941 D Wheat Penny
Most Silver Coins--Found a total of 3 silver dimes. All 1964D's. One coin was a loner in a CoinStar bin. Two coins and a 1943 steel penny turned up on another CoinStar visit. These are pictured in the front of the stacked coin image.
Most Deceptive Find--In the photos you'll see what looks like a ball of trash laying on a cement lip (car wash again). When I first saw it I thought it was a ball of aluminum foil. Apparently someone had dropped candy into their change stash and threw the whole thing out when the candy melted. There were 50 coins in that ball mashed together with melted candy. Threw the whole mess in a bag and poured boiling water over it and scored $6.25.
Tokens and Foreign Coins--Found several brass gaming tokens which you can see in the attached image. Found 2 Canadian dimes and a Canadian penny.
Jewelry--Found one .925 sterling silver jewelry mount for a necklace.
Most Unexpected Place to Find Coins--This was a tie. First, found about 20 coins at a railroad crossing down the street. I found a couple of coins there and thought it was a fluke, but every time I passed by there kept finding more. Go figure on that on. Second, on the ground outside of storage lockers. I have a large storage locker area down the road that isn't fenced in. People are constantly coming and going and apparently are sweeping the coins out of their lockers when they clean up.
Well, I've run on enough in this post. Hope you enjoyed the results of this little experiment of mine.

Upvote 21

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a nice pile of finds. Keep up the eyeball work it seems to be paying off for you. I have found gold and silver rings on the pavement as well as phones, credit cards and drivers licenses. It is amazing what people lose. Stay safe, good luck and keep looking.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s awesome. I am always looking at the ground as I walk to and from the car. I have found several gift cards and good scratch off tickets along with lots of coins and a gold ring.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well done!! I find I'm now having neck issues from always looking down, but the rewards have been like yours. Keep up the great work!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread