What's new

Pecked?

CHUDs

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2014
Messages
440
Reaction score
677
Golden Thread
0
Location
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if this appears to be pecking? Just trying to get an idea...thanks! The last pic is an area of the same stone which appears to be ground smoother than the rest...

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1493051002.827260.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1493051045.255237.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1493051080.502480.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1493051359.298387.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can we see the entire object please? Those are great close ups but I'd like to see what the piece looks like. Also, I believe that is natural weathering and pitting of that surface and not actual peck marks.

This is a Peck Stone made from Granite. You can see the obvious peck marks on this piece.
 

Attachments

  • Clark Farm (519).webp
    Clark Farm (519).webp
    31.3 KB · Views: 112
  • Clark Farm (520).webp
    Clark Farm (520).webp
    25.4 KB · Views: 95
  • Clark Farm (521).webp
    Clark Farm (521).webp
    26 KB · Views: 92
Thanks Grim...is that the stone used to do the pecking? Does the surface of the object being pecked have a similar look to it? I'm just trying to puzzle through this piece...I've posted it before and the answer was not an artifact. However, a friend and local artifact hunter came by and asked me about it...it sits in the garden, I told him the story and that the general consensus was that it wasn't an artifact. He seemed to think otherwise. It's part of the reason I asked a while ago for info on specific details of the lithic tool making process along with pics. I've learned a lot from the experts on here. I've also kept my eyes and ears open locally and learned a bit. Thank you.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom