Pennsylvania Caves

Old Rerntern

May 19, 2008
Hegins, PA
I watched a video the other day on YOU TUBE about one of the Robber Lewis caves.

It's located in Carlisle PA along the Conodoguinet Creek. Ive been going to this area at least three time a year for the last 38 years and I never knew I was just 800 yards from it. I plan on checking it out in April.
Has anyone detected this cave. Looks rather large and very deep with a lot of river sediment on the floor.

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
I wouldn't mind checking it out. Is this located close to his parent's homestead?

Bumbalawski

Mar 2, 2015
Beans Cove Pa.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are actually three "Davey Lewis" caves in Pa. And I know of a fourth one. The one in Bedford county is the one I am associated with. The Mid Atlantic Karst Conservancy has leased this cave and I will be one of the managers. But this cave has suffered the same fate as the one in the video. It is located very near water and has flooded to many times over the years. The lore associated with caves are sometimes laughable. The Bedford County cave has 876 feet of surveyed passage, much of it very tight. But legend has it Davey Lewis rode his horse through this cave to Rainsburg, nine miles away. That is not possible. I have been caving for 50 years and I have yet to find a "treasure" in any cave. We opened a cave one year ago that has been closed for over 200 years. We found some colonial era artifacts near the entrance and outside the cave, but none in the cave. Look around the entrances, that is where artifacts will be found.

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
theres a couple of caves me and my friend explored just north of Easton along the delaware river while we were looking for a buried Tory Treasure back in the 90s and one along RT212 just west of the river, near riegelsville PA but a kid fell to his death and they couldnt find the body, so they sealed that one with steel bars set in concrete

Steelhead2634

Aug 28, 2016
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign xs2A Pro
Minelab Ex2
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tioga county

I have in my possession a rare, out-of-print book on Pennsylvania caves distributed by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Department of Internal Affairs, Topographic and Geologic Survey, dated 1932 .

It gives detailed descriptions of every known cave in all the Pennsylvania counties..........including short stories of known hideouts of Robber David Lewis, Simon Girty, and others. Too much info to print here but if anybody needs additional info, I'd be glad to share it with you...................Rich

Any information on Tioga county?

mpluk1985

Jan 2, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has instructions on how to access the Hobo Cave in Wernersville, PA Berks County. I found book called "Caves of Pennsylvania" by Ralph W. Stone, on which he details the Hobo cave on page 62: https://caves.org/pub/journal/NSS Bulletin/Vol_15.pdf

But the instructions on how to access it have been redacted.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mark

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has instructions on how to access the Hobo Cave in Wernersville, PA Berks County. I found book called "Caves of Pennsylvania" by Ralph W. Stone, on which he details the Hobo cave on page 62: https://caves.org/pub/journal/NSS Bulletin/Vol_15.pdf

But the instructions on how to access it have been redacted.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mark

I have two copies of that book. If I can find one of them, I will let you know what it says.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Online:

Pennsylvania Caves - Ralph W. Stone -
000AAA.jpg
000bbb.jpg

no idea if this is a 1953 reprint of the same book.
If it is, It appears some of the info, possibly on locations is redacted.
ether because names have changed, or late 20th./early 21st. Century century Archie greed,
Ownership, or Enviro'Mental Wack-A-Doodles !.

But when I get a chance I'll go through the List & see if there are any Old News Reports on any of them.

https://caves.org/pub/journal/NSS Bulletin/Vol_15.pdf

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool I declare myself a caveman that would be awesome to hunt those

SpareSomeChange

Aug 17, 2019
The 3rd Planet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have this same book. And another one with big fold out maps. A lot of locations given but so much has changed since they were written it takes so much time referencing maps and old areal photos and property lines to even get an idea of where they actually sit.

Gold Digger69

May 9, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have in my possession a rare, out-of-print book on Pennsylvania caves distributed by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Department of Internal Affairs, Topographic and Geologic Survey, dated 1932 .

It gives detailed descriptions of every known cave in all the Pennsylvania counties..........including short stories of known hideouts of Robber David Lewis, Simon Girty, and others. Too much info to print here but if anybody needs additional info, I'd be glad to share it with you...................Rich
Rich how many caves are listed for Dauphin,Cumberland and Perry counties i live in Dauphin and love to explore caves i found a few in Carisle and explored them looking to explore more. Thamks Gold Digger..

Gold Digger69

May 9, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This Cave is Near me in Dauphin County.

it's Not real Deep though.
Maby 100 Feet & about 5 foot high at the entrance
Hi Jeff read all your posts i am in Dauphin Co.where you located and if you dont mind where is the cave in the pic located?? Thanks Gold Digger..

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if he still has the Book,
Or if this is It
000fff.jpg

However if this one was Half the Price & Free Shipping I'd add it to my Library :coffee2:I sent her/him a $20.00 + shipping offer to see if they accept .
*NOTE below Northumberland County Lists caves from Northampton County . Not sure on the Entire Northumberland List being wrong but is likely should say NORTHAMPTON
000aaa.jpg

000bbb.jpg

000ccc.jpg
000ddd.jpg
000eee.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread