Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Penobscot Expedition- Gen. Francis McClean's Pieces of 8

Scan0096.jpg piece of 8.jpg Well folks as I understand it my posts are to long so instead of listing my articles here I will post some coins and relics individually with minimum writing.
Here is a coin I found in Castine, Maine near old Fort George. It seems in a British Orderly Sergeants journal of the 3 week siege the commander Gen. McClean was in need to hire what they called "pioneers" to help clear the area around Ft George and also built it. Being not short on the large silver but short on the small change he ordered the coins to be cut into 5th. Common practice of the day were cut in 1/8ths.
Sergeant Lawrence Journal 20 July 1779-
Small change is so scarce that dollars are cut into 5 pieces by command of the general.
After the siege was over and it was determined that was considered that was a fraudulent practice on November 14th Sgt Lawrence would ad in his journal " Owing to fraudulent practices , the cut pieces of 8 are to be called in Dr Calif who in return will give a dollar for 5 of them.
The one I am showing here was found by me about 100 feet from Ft George. These cut pieces in 8ths are quite common finds but the 5ths not but none the less still exciting to find in any form. Two pics are the front and back of a early 18th century Spanish Milled dollar., Scan0086.jpg Scan0089.jpg quarters and 8ths.

Last edited:
Upvote 9

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool slice of the past!
Get it? Looks like a "slice" of pie... albeit a big slice.

Thanks for sharing. GL&HH.

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yup just noticed that so here is the back plus an example .

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find, Gary. You don't see many cut silver pieces that were cut into fifths. Excellent research!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post Castineman, that 1/5th cut 8 reale must be a really rare item. Congrats.
ZDD

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds! I love to find Spanish but yours is so much better being that you found it, know the history and can tell the history. :icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Knowing the history of our items is a rare thing indeed. That is great research and great knowledge to share with the rest of us. I love and Spanish silver but a piece like that is just awesome. Thanks for sharing Gary

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes the standard again is like in the pic I used so halves, 4ths and 8ths were the norm. This little area about 200 feet from Ft George was a relic mine and I and other hunted it many times. When the pickings got slim I was digging iron signals. Of interest I was digging an iron nail and in the discharge dirt was this silver piece. It was probably masked by the iron. I was kinda in shock to see the glitter of silver.My advise dig everything.

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Abe
A lot of other great relics came from this one site close to Ft George so like in the commercial " But waite there is More. It was a surprise coin masked by a nail. "When in Doubt Dig it Out."

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still looking for mine but that's the thrill of the hunt...thanks for sharing once again..good to have you on the forum...help with the long winter that's coming..

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Steve
Congrats tom you on some nice ord. Not often cannon balls are found. Keep swinging that coil and posting .
AS for mine having a great time sharing. More to come.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've gone years without finding one now found around 15 or so...4 this year with a chance to get out for Sunday for another...thanks

Hey Steve
Congrats tom you on some nice ord. Not often cannon balls are found. Keep swinging that coil and posting .
AS for mine having a great time sharing. More to come.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions