Route66

Mar 25, 2019
Guntersville, AL
Detector(s) used
White's 6000D
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is my first year back into metal detecting after being heavily involved in the early 1980's. Back then silver was still pretty plentiful so I concentrated on old parks, schools, etc.. At the time I lived in NW Indiana (not too far from Chicago) so the areas to hunt were plentiful and I never thought about asking permission to hunt private yards.

I now live in Alabama and I've found that "permissions" is now the best want to find older silver coins, tokens, etc.. I've had very good luck in the last 2-1/2 months of doing that. One yard had 9 silver coins (including two silver half dollars) and the house next door had 8 silver coins (including a SLQ and a Barber Dime).

My concern, as the weather gets hotter, is that my plugs may kill the grass in those same yards. What are your thoughts on the subject? Do you stop getting "permissions" after a certain time of year if you live in a very hot climate?

Thanks!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMHO: Only cut plugs during the wet seasons (spring and fall) or when the ground is well saturated. I have detected a few homes in the summer, but waited until they totally saturated the soil with a sprinkler system. I have found many lost rings/returns using the last method. Good Luck this year. :icon_thumleft:

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep kill the grass and kill the permission. hunt the woods and enjoy the shade.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like ticndig said, I won't dig in lawns after about another week. We're still in monsoon season here, but I won't do grass again until after Labor day. It's beach time!

OP
OP
Route66

Route66

Mar 25, 2019
Guntersville, AL
Detector(s) used
White's 6000D
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys for the advice! It is about time to stop digging plugs then.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread