Petrified Burnt Wood

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Petrified 'Burnt' Wood

I found this near a creek some time ago. To me, it seems like a piece of petrified wood that had previously been burnt. It was suggested to me at one time that it might be iron wood and also that it might be a clinker as produced by impurities during the forging process. I don't think that it is either. It is hard like a rock, except the charcoal patches are brittle. I keep it wrapped up so it doesn't knock against things and fragment. When you open the wrapping(also kept inside a zip lock, it smells like burnt wood. In one of the photos I uploaded you can see silvery bands of ash...at least that is what I think they are. You are invited to make any comments about this! :)

Attachments

• IMG_1669.JPG
    IMG_1669.JPG
    361 KB · Views: 1,858
  • IMG_1672.JPG
    IMG_1672.JPG
    295.9 KB · Views: 1,379

Age_old

Jul 30, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it smells like burnt wood, it is defiantly not fossil burnt wood. Too me it looks like a piece of iron that was scorched. Maybe it was used in a campfire or something.

Rww1987

Jul 26, 2012
Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jarl said:
I found this near a creek some time ago. To me, it seems like a piece of petrified wood that had previously been burnt. It was suggested to me at one time that it might be iron wood and also that it might be a clinker as produced by impurities during the forging process. I don't think that it is either. It is hard like a rock, except the charcoal patches are brittle. I keep it wrapped up so it doesn't knock against things and fragment. When you open the wrapping(also kept inside a zip lock, it smells like burnt wood. In one of the photos I uploaded you can see silvery bands of ash...at least that is what I think they are. You are invited to make any comments about this! :)

It looks like a chunk of coal with pyrite in it

OP
OP
Jarl

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the suggestions Age_old and Rww1987!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread