What's new

Pewter button awesome fine condition

williedigit

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
463
Reaction score
1,335
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and WHITES SILVER EAGLE also MINELAB 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1478487936.107361.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1478487948.415261.webp
 
Upvote 10
Great old button! Love finding those! But for future reference that material is actually called tombac! It's an alloy of copper and zinc, similar to brass, except there is a higher concentration of the zinc. Zinc by itself is very susceptible to corrosion but in copper it makes the metal so much more resistant! Funny how those things work!
 
I do love those tombac buttons. Some have beautiful designs.

aj
 
Tombacs nearly always come out good, although many missing the loop.
 
tn_outstanding.gif
Nice find! Thanks for sharing...
 
I'm not much of a button guy, since I dig in Ohio, but I'd like to dig one of those. Congrats on the sweet find. :occasion14:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom