What's new

Pewter Disc Brooch? .....nah, a Horse Rosette!

DavidBeard

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
507
Reaction score
44
Golden Thread
1
Location
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,
Perhaps I'm reading too many books and looking at too many pictures but I'm hoping, (really hoping) that this could be the remains of a Pewter Disc Brooch.
Its 5cm in diameter, 2-3mm thick, weighs 56g and looks like it could have been coated in Silver on the patterned side. Its very fragile, crumbling slightly.
This is all I could find of it: (same field as the hammered gilded copper)
Here are the pics:
Pewter-disk-1.webp
Pewter-disk-2.webp
Pewter-disk-3.webp
Pewter-disk-4.webp
Pewter-disk-5.webp
Great weather we're having here just lately. Best wishes,
x
 
Re: Pewter Disc Brooch?

Look real closely at the front, maybe even with a magnifier, to see if anything is written on it. I dug a saddle shield with the maker's name on it, that looks almost identical to your piece.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Pewter Disc Brooch?

It's a horse rosette. Probably precivil war.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Pewter Disc Brooch?

vayank54 said:
It's a horse rosette. Probably precivil war.
Was just looking at Rosettes as you wrote that - Thanks,
Perhaps I'll find a Disc Brooch another day!
 
Upvote 0
Re: Pewter Disc Brooch?

DavidBeard said:
vayank54 said:
It's a horse rosette. Probably precivil war.
Was just looking at Rosettes as you wrote that - Thanks,
Perhaps I'll find a Disc Brooch another day!

Did you find a matching photo somewhere? Thanks!
 
Upvote 0
British name - Horse boss (horse furniture)
 
Upvote 0
Here is a photo of the saddle shield I found.
 

Attachments

  • sadbadg.webp
    sadbadg.webp
    161.5 KB · Views: 336
Upvote 0
creskol said:
Here is a photo of the saddle shield I found.
Thanks - Are they Pewter too?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom