Philosophically speaking...

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Philosophically speaking; does the gun kill a person? Or does "the person" pulling the trigger kill a person?
By reading newspaper accounts and listening to the national news media one would think that the gun accomplished the dirty deed. How often have you read," John Dow was killed by a large caliber handgun?" Was John Doe killed by the handgun or by the person who used a handgun to do the job. How many times have you read that an SUV lost control and ran off the highway crashing into a tree/wall/barrier and killing the driver? Didn't the driver lose control?

You may wonder why this should be important. In the words of a world renowned radio host," Words mean something." If our illustrious reporters are unable to write using correct English sentence structure, then how can their information be trusted? A lax attitude toward the mechanics of English Composition reflects a less than desirable attitude about their job. In addition, the fact that these writings made it into print, points to the Editors' lack of ability, too.

Supposition: Those who write well, should; those who don't, shouldn't. Just my 2 cents.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
What about if the gun, a large caliber, was on a shelf and fell off hitting you on the head and killing you. Then...

A large caliber gun killed a man...

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Bullets kill.

And in my opinion...everything in life is about intent. So, the bullet did the deed, but the mind is what pulled the trigger.

yes, words DO mean something...and thoughts too as they have an energy and according to Einstein energy never dies:)

OP
OP
Shortstack

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guy In Back said:
What about if the gun, a large caliber, was on a shelf and fell off hitting you on the head and killing you. Then...

A large caliber gun killed a man...

And "if" Grandpaw had wheels, he'd be a wagon. :) My idea concerns purpose and intent. An inanimate object has neither. Those traits are owned by living entities---humans and to some extent, animals. A cold piece of machinery has no thought process; therefore, no thoughts. The ineptitude shown by the newsies, make these terrible incidents seem disconnected from a responsible person.

vibes said:
Bullets kill.

And in my opinion...everything in life is about intent. So, the bullet did the deed, but the mind is what pulled the trigger.

yes, words DO mean something...and thoughts too as they have an energy and according to Einstein energy never dies:)

:thumbsup: By George, I think you've got it. (he says in a bad immitation of Sean Connery. ;D)

OP
OP
Shortstack

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mcgearhead said:
My child made an F on a report card, it was the pencil's fault ! Since it was the pencil's fault, we need to ban all pencils !
I know of someone that was killed from a guy drinking and driving. It was because of the alcohol. Since it was the alcohol's fault we need to ban all alcohol.
People are the reason's these things happen. People make choices all the time, if someone shoots someone with a gun, it is that person's fault, not the gun. Even if it was an accident, which I know of someone that accidently shot themself,didn't die, it was his fault.
These things are just objects that do not have a mind, the person behind these things has the mind to make the choice of life and death.

Yeah, a fork didn't make Rosie O'Donnell ..... Aaaaah. Yep, you're right. Objects don't "do" it; a person making a conscience decision does. The second part of my philosophical observation is that some people / organizations blame objects for horrific things. If they can demonize an object, then they can get rid of that object. ie. guns and large automobiles; just to name 2 things. We've all seen the articles in newspapers and watched the propaganda rantings on the TV Evenings News.

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark
I think that the person is definitely to blame for committing a murder regardless of the tool that's used. I also believe that a gun makes it more convenient for someone to kill another human. think about how easy it is to pull a trigger compaired to jabbing a knife into someones chest, or beating a person over the head with a blunt object.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Newsies always use the term "High Powered Rifle".
I guess I have never seen a "Low Powered Rifle".

Maybe we should limit sales to LPRs and LP "Handguns".

That might stop crime don't ya think?

Let's ask the Teachers Union what they think.

They control what our kids think but do not get paid enough.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Google up 'high power rifle'. There is a bit of a difference. The 'other' phraseology is small bore rifle vs high power rifle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread