What's new

Photos: Raw chert point radically thinned with finger punch

BenjaminE

Full Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2014
Messages
167
Reaction score
244
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moderator, could you move this to the other forum for me? I do not know how to delete it. Thanks.

Old tool and old technique baffle modern flintknappers for years. Guess how it was done?
 

Attachments

  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    31.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 4.webp
    4.webp
    27.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 2.webp
    2.webp
    31.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 3.webp
    3.webp
    35.7 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Do you have you tube videos of some of your work ? I would like to see if you do. To somebody that doesn’t knap it’s hard to know the difference of the techniques
 
I’d certainly love to know how you made it so thin.
 
Moderator, I apologize for posting in the wrong forum.

The flaker shown is usually described in literature as a "cut tine tip" flaker. The following video shows I use the flaker with a process that dates back to the early 19th century, as recounted to a soldier named Grinnell, and published around 1869:

 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom