"Piggy Banks" are coming .

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
"Piggy Banks" are coming .

Over the past two weeks I have seen many people coming into banks that have coin machines, all their PIGGY BANKS, jars, totes, etc of their coins from home. My one bank that has the LARGE rolling hopper, the head cashier said that she has changed the hopper three times this week. Usually only 1-1.5 hoppers per week up until now. The average hopper will hold about 32,000 to 35,000 pieces of coin before stopping as FULL.
Which all means that there will be some added change to the system over the next few days/weeks, of which some of it could be Silver. So therefore, don't only ask for CRW's , but for sure accept the MRW's. Good Luck and MERRY CHRISTMAS, DozerD.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is this the Christmas dump of coins by folks who want paper currency to purchase gifts???? I too have seen more people lately at the Coinstar machines dumping big bags of coins. So far all have been savvy enough to check the Reject Tray afterwards. ???:BangHead:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe some LOOT coming to a roll near you :laughing9::treasurechest:

AND- screws, hair pins, wire nuts, pet food, & iron "spoikes" from Oak Island :BangHead:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I've been on the hunt for 35+ years. My best finds are typically associated with the holidays beginning in November (early shoppers) and extending through February (credit card bills come due in January).

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to one of my area credit unions yesterday , and there was a line forming behind me to dump jars and bags of coin in the coin counter . I too think that the pressure to buy gifts , on top of the ongoing bill cycles is directly behind the massive increase of coin dumping , I also believe that there could be a spike in silver finds across the board - in boxes ,bags, rolls ,reject trays , teller trays ...It's still out there somewhere .

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where are bank machines for dumping BITCOIN :laughing9: almost as big a scam as Tesla cars or a "LUGZURIE" car from Kia :laughing9:

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
10 banks that is my tally so far that have refused to sell bags, most say they are required to send them to the fed, one bank more honest said it is too much paperwork for them to deal with

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
10 banks that is my tally so far that have refused to sell bags, most say they are required to send them to the fed, one bank more honest said it is too much paperwork for them to deal with

Ben: banks don't send back to the FED, but only to coin processors as Brinks, Guarda, Loomis, who process count, roll & box the coins. And yes, several of my bag banks don't sell bags because of the paperwork.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess I used that term because that is what the banks claim. Still going to talk to other banks with counters until I get a no from all 14 of the banks near me with counters.

It was so much fun going through those two bags of dimes, 2 silver in one and 12 in the other, Dozer what is your average of silver per dime bag?

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess I used that term because that is what the banks claim. Still going to talk to other banks with counters until I get a no from all 14 of the banks near me with counters.

It was so much fun going through those two bags of dimes, 2 silver in one and 12 in the other, Dozer what is your average of silver per dime bag?

Of the 7-8 bags so far this year, varies from a low of 3 to about 12, I'd say avg of 6, which comes down to 1.5/box. As a matter of fact, I just picked up another bag about an hour ago. Be interesting to see if Xmas silver has fallen off the tree and onto my stack.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
You have a good chance, I was at one of my banks today, there was a line at the counter, I wanted to check the rejects but the last two people who didn't know how to use the counter and took 10 minutes to dump a few coins kept checking it and even under the machine.

the 1.5 per box makes me feel better about boxes.

Why is it I have noticed about half the boxes are brand new 2017 coins in every roll, is that typical for different times of the year, or is it just the luck of the draw

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never understood the paperwork argument either. There's really nothing to it. When they take a bag off of the machine it's added to the vault. Just like boxes of coins, tellers would just have to buy it from the vault and the money you would pay would be added to the vault inventory.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I think that it is an excuse that it is hard to fight as you could show them the banking regulations with the Fed and disprove it, paperwork is harder to argue against

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread