What's new

Pink spear point and my frame

bcarmack1

Jr. Member
Joined
May 17, 2015
Messages
52
Reaction score
83
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little over 3 inches ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452298910.007721.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452298950.358197.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452298972.507808.webp
 
Upvote 0
If I saw what you saw, I would have converted to flint in a heartbeat.
If I needed 3 knives to do an elk, I would have got one good one. I did one in October.
so how often did your friend re-sharpen his obsidian blade? And how did he do it?
 
I'm telling you he didn't sharpen it. He did the whole pelt. I'm sorry if you don't believe it, but that is how it went. I'm not saying that flint or obsidian knives never had to be replaced or reworked, it's obvious that they were. However, I can see that one could last a very long time. I kind of feel like you might be trying to be insulting to me with your comments, I hope I am just mistaken, and I hope that none of my comments are taken as insulting to you. I have seen over the years that you have experience with artifacts, and respect that, but, this is how it went. I am not an expert in artifacts, and have never said such. But I do know that obsidian is the sharpest substance on earth, and will outlast any metal blade. (I say obsidian, not flint.)( quoting :"If I saw what you saw, I would have converted to flint in a heartbeat") I kind of feel like you think I am disrespecting you somehow, I hope I am wrong. Take it for what it is worth, or don't, every one is entitled to their opinion, and you can say I am wrong if you want, but like I said, I saw it. I just would like to respectfully ask, have you ever tried to skin anything with obsidian?

Just fyi: I just kind of looked back, and I hope that when I quoted you at first, that you didn't take it that I was challenging what you said, btw! I wasn't!
 
Last edited:
I'm telling you he didn't sharpen it. He did the whole pelt. I'm sorry if you don't believe it, but that is how it went. I'm not saying that flint or obsidian knives never had to be replaced or reworked, it's obvious that they were. However, I can see that one could last a very long time. I kind of feel like you might be trying to be insulting to me with your comments, I hope I am just mistaken, and I hope that none of my comments are taken as insulting to you. I have seen over the years that you have experience with artifacts, and respect that, but, this is how it went. I am not an expert in artifacts, and have never said such. But I do know that obsidian is the sharpest substance on earth, and will outlast any metal blade. (I say obsidian, not flint.)( quoting :"If I saw what you saw, I would have converted to flint in a heartbeat") I kind of feel like you think I am disrespecting you somehow, I hope I am wrong. Take it for what it is worth, or don't, every one is entitled to their opinion, and you can say I am wrong if you want, but like I said, I saw it. I just would like to respectfully ask, have you ever tried to skin anything with obsidian?

Just fyi: I just kind of looked back, and I hope that when I quoted you at first, that you didn't take it that I was challenging what you said, btw! I wasn't!

Please, believe me, I don't mean to insult at all. It doesn't fly here. I know a little about quality blades, even messed with porcelain blades.

But to be honest with you, I think you are insulting me and our intelligence with all these claims about this blade.

He starts with an actual artifact that is razor sharp. He skins, and butchers a Buffalo with it, never sharpening it. It's still razor sharp when he is done. Obsidian will out last any metal blade.

To answer your question, no I have never skinned anything with obsidian. BUT, if it did all you said, I am sure I would have heard about them and be using one exclusively by now. Sharpening and keeping my steel blades as sharp as I like them is time consuming.

Now, we should let this thread get back on track. If you want to start one on obsidian and its traits, feel free.
 
Thanks for the well known info. Are you thinking those blades would butcher a bison and never lose their edge?

We were talking about butchering, not delicate surgical operations.
 
just commenting on sharpness....
 
you mean about skinning a buffalo?...couldn't tell you that, I avoid sharp things as I have a tendency to cut my left hand every time I pick up something with an edge.
 
you mean about skinning a buffalo?...couldn't tell you that, I avoid sharp things as I have a tendency to cut my left hand every time I pick up something with an edge.

Cute!
I spose you wouldn't dare to try an educated guess for fear of hurting someone's feelings either?
 

Yawn! What gives unclemac? You are much smarter than this game you want to play.

I'll agree and have agreed whole hearted as to how sharp these blades are, BUT, please try to understand the context of what is being talked about. We are talking about one stone blade skinning and butchering, a Buffalo, never being sharpened, and still razor sharp when done. NOT shaving, or making a few surgical slices with a stone surgical instrument.

Since we know you can use a search engine, find something comparable to a whole buffalo getting skinned and butchered with one of them super duty blades. And get off the sharpness of an obsidian flake that we already know all about and understand perfectly well........ Or is that all you have to offer unclemac?
 
I think this thread has been highjacked enough. I have started a new one. I apologize for what has happened here bcarmack1! You have a really awesome point buddy!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom