What's new

Pinpointer mode indicates something, but detect mode doesn't show a target ID

OBXmetalDet

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2019
Messages
381
Reaction score
281
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pinpointer mode indicates something, but detect mode doesn't show a target ID.

What is going on here? Is there really a target present?
 
Well, only way to verify is to dig it. Detect mode has a physical limitation where the machine just cant pick up any deeper. Pinpoint mode, I believe, has the ability to go a bit deeper and thus may produce a "target" where detect mode doesnt register anything. But how and why did you decide to pinpoint that exact spot if detect mode didnt indicate anything was there? Have you gone to other spots and used pinpoint mode and it comes up with a presumed target (which detect mode doesnt indicate)? Or do these other spots not indicate anything, even in pinpoint mode? Could be a glitch in the machine with pinpoint mode always indicating something", no matter where you pinpoint. But if it pinpoints in the spot you first mentioned, but doesnt indicate a target in other locations, then I would say there is probably something actually there in the location you first asked about.
 
Just FYI, pinpoint mode goes deeper than discrimination mode, next time it happens remove couple scoops of sand then check again to see if you get a signal.

My excals have the pinpoint mod with thumb switch on them so I can hunt in all metal and quickly switch to desc to see if it nulls (ferrous). I have found many targets in pp mode that desc would not see till some sand/dirt was removed.

I have seen targets with pp on my Equinox 800 that it didnt see in desc.

I dig all targets at beach if they do not null.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom