Pinpointer Technology

dkellerz

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2024
I have been investigating for my up coming purchase of a pinpointer.

I have seen some listed as being Pulse Induction Technology.
I understand the difference between PI and LFO and that LFO requires 2 coils.
I have been looking at YouTube videos of people repairing their pinpointers
and almost all of units being worked on have a coil with just 2 wires.
Does this mean the are using Pulse Induction?

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been investigating for my up coming purchase of a pinpointer.

I have seen some listed as being Pulse Induction Technology.
I understand the difference between PI and LFO and that LFO requires 2 coils.
I have been looking at YouTube videos of people repairing their pinpointers
and almost all of units being worked on have a coil with just 2 wires.
Does this mean the are using Pulse Induction?
Watch out for those rabbit holes! 🤓

What (kind of) metal detector do you have/will you be getting/using, and what kind of detecting will you be doing? That will usually have some bearing on choice of a pinpointer.

Most hobby MDs are VLF; there are reasons for that. IMO, they're more... versatile, while PI is more... specific. Unless you'll be doing a lot of beach, underwater, gold shooting, and/or something specific, I think you'll likely want a more general purpose VLF detector and pinpointer.

One of the "pluses" of PI tech is ostensibly greater depth. Greater depth is desirable in a MD, but may be a double-edged sword when it comes to pinpointers. I don't mind digging an extra inch or two, but I don't want to be digging another foot or more! 😝

pennysucker

Oct 23, 2008
Taylors SC
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Surf PI 1.2 DIY bucket lid for coil pvc frame
I bought a pin pointer from China. Works really well But!!!!!!!!!!! It produces a pulse on 10 kcs. That is one of the frequencies my Vanquish 540 uses. I have to keep the pin pointer at least 8 feet away from the Vanquish or they both don't work. Needless to say I can't use the pin pointer with the Vanquish 540.

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a pin pointer from China. Works really well But!!!!!!!!!!! It produces a pulse on 10 kcs. That is one of the frequencies my Vanquish 540 uses. I have to keep the pin pointer at least 8 feet away from the Vanquish or they both don't work. Needless to say I can't use the pin pointer with the Vanquish 540.
This is an example where the detector (specs) would (or should have) influenced the choice of pinpointer. I hope you can still use it as a spare, or loaner or something...

Good admonition though! :laughing7: Avoid cheap knock-offs... caveat emptor... all that 💩!

You're lucky it was only 8 feet. I've put my detector down to get something from my car, and I can still hear the detector through the headphones from over 100 feet away and around a building--it's almost comical. But I digress (as I am wont to do... 🙄)....

Choosing a pinpointer from the same mfr. as the detector should avoid any problems like above, but I don't know that for fact, and it isn't necessary. Lots of folks still swear by their "carrots" regardless of what they're swinging.

dkellerz, in order to help...
  • What detector do you have, or are you considering?
  • What kind of pinpointing? (beach, park, gold...)
  • Power: batteries or USB?
  • Wired or wireless?
  • Pairable with MD/headphones?
  • Any other MUST HAVE features?
  • Any "deal killers"?
  • Price range?

Last edited:
OP
OP
dkellerz

dkellerz

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2024
Watch out for those rabbit holes! 🤓

What (kind of) metal detector do you have/will you be getting/using, and what kind of detecting will you be doing? That will usually have some bearing on choice of a pinpointer.

Most hobby MDs are VLF; there are reasons for that. IMO, they're more... versatile, while PI is more... specific. Unless you'll be doing a lot of beach, underwater, gold shooting, and/or something specific, I think you'll likely want a more general purpose VLF detector and pinpointer.

One of the "pluses" of PI tech is ostensibly greater depth. Greater depth is desirable in a MD, but may be a double-edged sword when it comes to pinpointers. I don't mind digging an extra inch or two, but I don't want to be digging another foot or more! 😝
I have a FISHER Gold Bug Pro running at 19.2KHZ with an 11" Double-D coil.
Most of my detecting will be done in parks, school yards and on the beach (I am only 10K away from White Rock). Battery powered is just fine and since I am doing this as Grampa/Grandson activities and not my goal in life, keeping the cost down is preferred. I was looking at one on Aliexpress, it's waterproof to 15M,Runs at 56khz and uses Pulse Induction technology. All for just $24 (all inclusive).

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most of my detecting will be done in parks, school yards and on the beach (I am only 10K away from White Rock). Battery powered is just fine and since I am doing this as Grampa/Grandson activities and not my goal in life, keeping the cost down is preferred. I was looking at one on Aliexpress, it's waterproof to 15M,Runs at 56khz and uses Pulse Induction technology. All for just $24 (all inclusive).
Thanks, now I get why you're looking at PI.

IME, when something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Caveat emptor.

Years of forum discussions suggest cheap Asian pinpointers are a crapshoot at best. You may get a pinpointer worth $25, or you may get a plastic wand with a vibrator and some wires--maybe an LED. :dontknow:

Personally, I'd try to stick to a recognized brand (unless it's a throwaway). I might try CL et al and the Marketplace here.

Others here may have better suggestions.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just remember you get what you pay for.
Best of luck.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, what is "LFO"?
If a PP coil has 2 wire it could be PI, or it could be "energy theft" which is a proximity method. The Garrett ProPointer is an energy theft type.
If the PP from China runs at 56kHz it is definitely not PI.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread