What's new

✅ SOLVED Pistol bullet ID needed

Tigerdude

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2016
Messages
433
Reaction score
1,177
Golden Thread
0
Location
South louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bullet with one "ring" slightly larger than base. Base is roughly .415 diameter and ring is .445. IMG_2555.webpIMG_2556.webp[ATTACH
 
The style is a Colt .44 percussion [Army] . . . or copy of same.

colts-patent-bullet-mold-colt-1860-army-revolver-civil-war-44-caliber-conical-ball-6.jpg


The rebated ring allows it to be set square on the cylinder rim when levering it down on the powder.
 
Upvote 0
It looks like a .44.cal.for army revolver,Johnston and Dow. Just a little diferent than bullet mold shown. I do agree it is a .44 cal. pistol ball.
 
Upvote 0
I went to the "Handbook Of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges" book, and after careful comparison of the Colt and the Johnson-&-Dow photos in it, I'll say I believe Charlie_P is correct, your bullet is the Colt's-mold type. Its rebated base isn't quite long enough to be the Johnson-&-Dow version (shown in the photo below).
 

Attachments

  • bullet_pistol_Johnson-&-Dow_44caliber_photobyHenrique_545-1.webp
    bullet_pistol_Johnson-&-Dow_44caliber_photobyHenrique_545-1.webp
    14.8 KB · Views: 65
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom