Mike,
I will need to find that claim notice and some older maps of the area. It's been around thirty years since I was there. This is what I remember:
We left 10 west of the summit, where there was a sign for Twenty-Nine Palms and the National Forest. The Road went north for a bit, and we came to a small building with information. I believe the road was called the Old Dale Road.

It went east from that point and crossed a fairly deep wash where the road was pretty rough. We made it through there, around twenty or so rigs, and continued east for a bit. Finally found a large flat area and circled up for a camp.
We went east and a little north from there to look for Obie's mine, and found one that had a road climbing and ending at the mine. It was on a ridge that separated it from a very large mountain. The canyon between was quite deep. The large mountain ran north and south.
We thought we had found the mine, but some years later Obie told me we needed to cross the canyon and go onto the large mountain to find it. He said you could go around the ridge we were on, drive around the north end and enter the canyon driving south. 4X4!
The story was that the mine was originally found by two brothers who ended up killing each other over the gold. If not for Aunt Olive backing up the story, I would have wrote it off as another tall tale.
At the bottom of the ridge....west side, there is another shaft that goes straight east for a short distance. The road up to the mine that we found, goes south from there along the ridge and then turns east and climbs to the top where the mine was. From there you are looking down into the canyon that runs north/south.
We never went back, but I made a total of three trips in there. It was later that Obie told me we needed to be on the mountain to the east. I believe it was Eagle Mountain. As you know, there is a pretty good mine up there. Don't know if it was the same one.
I will look for the claim notice.
Take care,
Joe
Here is a picture of Carolyn and Juno above our camp. Road led right to it.