Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Knapping and flaking practice.
Im still not getting very long flakes.
I’ve watched a lot of videos, but most only talk about how to develop a proper platform; they don’t really show it. I guess it’s too difficult to show on a video. My edges don’t get very thin.
IMG_3026.jpeg

I propped it up; easier to see.
IMG_3027.jpeg

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First, your flakes are coming off regular and clean. Good spacing. All very important. Imagine that slab of coral cut in half. Like two thinner slabs the same thickness on top of each other. Where those two imaginary slabs meet is the centerline. You are setting up your platforms on the centerline. You need to pressure flake and create platforms that are below the centerline. Once those are set up, drive the flakes into the mass. There is a small margin to work with. If you drive flakes too deep, or with a weak blow, they will hinge. You need to be a little aggressive and drive the flakes across without going past the limit and hinging out. Very frustrating, I know. Been there!🤣 You have a great start. Don’t let up until you get it. 👍🏻Sitting with an experienced knapper would be a real plus for you right now.
I wish I lived closer.
I have no idea why this text is in this font. How did I do that?🤔

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
I’ve never tried it before myself. I think it’s bad on your wrist and hands
Hope you enjoy it, good luck

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Knapping and flaking practice.
Im still not getting very long flakes.
I’ve watched a lot of videos, but most only talk about how to develop a proper platform; they don’t really show it. I guess it’s too difficult to show on a video. My edges don’t get very thin.
This is a really good site for tips and ideas. Good pics of platforms. Many yrs of experience shown here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread