plating coming off penny?

Walleyeman

May 14, 2015
MI
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hey guys,
found in pocket change a penny that looked a little weird, (see pic below)
why/what happened? any info would be appreciated.
penny.jpg back.jpg

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of looks that way for some reason.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the link vpnavy.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Last edited:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
details not impaired so looks like bonding failed from contamination. should weigh 2.5 gm

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I have to agree. They did a bad job on this one.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I could be wrong but IMHO, something else caused the loss of the plating other than a failed plating job. Note how the Date looks like it is doubled due to the image that the missing plating caused which looks similar to a shadow. I don't believe that this could happen due to a plating problem at the Mint. The coin would be a great plating missing specimen for Mike Diamond to analyze and give his opinion on the cause!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could be wrong but IMHO, something else caused the loss of the plating other than a failed plating job. Note how the Date looks like it is doubled due to the image that the missing plating caused which looks similar to a shadow. I don't believe that this could happen due to a plating problem at the Mint. The coin would be a great plating missing specimen for Mike Diamond to analyze and give his opinion on the cause!

an odd little puppy this is. the date ghosts are southeast of the devices and MERICA has northern ghosts while the overall surfaces have uniform crazing. may need to appoint a special counsel and subpoena all Denver Mint employees from that year and have a few select fbi former special agents subject them to interviews---- this could be some sort of zinc/copper collusion thing:laughing9::dontknow::happysmiley::laughing9:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG!!!!! just figgered it out---- they used beachbit to wipe the coin clean:tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread