Platinum, a good buy right now?

Bean

Aug 3, 2008
Georgia
I have noticed that platinum prices are way down. (its around $1000 per ounce right now)
Anybody been jumping on at these prices?
I never bought any before because its been so expensive, but there's only about $100 difference between it and gold
right now per ounce.
Platinum really doesn't seem to follow silver and gold that much since most of it that is mined goes into catalytic converters for
cars and trucks, if that market really slows down ( which it has a little) it could really drop the price.
So it's kinda hard for me to tell where platinum may go from here, so I guess my question is do you think platinum is a good buy?

Bean

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
The current price ratio of gold/platinum looks tempting. But with the Autos
in the tank platinum might get down to unbelievable levels. Trouble is you
would need to make a sizeable purchase to do you any good and money
already invested should be left alone. Selling mutual shares now with the
Dow below 8000 would likely be disastrous to your retirement portfolio.
As long as you don't sell the number of shares you own is the same as
before the meltdown. lastleg

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
You can buy 1/10th ounce just to have platinum, but for ratios now and in the near future, and growth potential, silver is still king to me. I have made a lot of money on silver over the years, and if I would have invested in gold instead I would not have made near as much. With the auto industry not getting bailed out, I don't think platinum has hit it's low yet. I am also not sure about how technology to increase gas mileage will affect catalytic converter needs in the future.

My 2 cents...Ryan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread