- #1
Thread Owner
I live near a mountain which has some silver colored ore (more than a ton of it). I took a sample of the ore, crushed it (it crushed easily) then sent it to a lab for a computer assay. The assay came back 99.3...% iron, .63...% platinum, followed by a very small percentage of silver, then a smaller percentage of vanadium. I have a 3 drum rod mill that can polverize the ore very rapidly. I just can't seem to extract the pt from the ore. There just seems to be too much iron in the way. I tried using hydrochoric acid to dissolve the iron but it just dissolves too slow. It seems like i am working backwards (like I should be trying to dissolve onlt the pt and leave the iron behind). I tried to use mercury by attempting to "charge" it: I used a glass jar, put about 1 1/2 kilos of mercury in the jar and filled the jar with water mixed with flakes of sodium hydroxide... then I partially stripped a solid copper wire and placed the stripped part in the bottom of the jar, connecting the other end to a 12 volt battery (negative post), ... then added the positive wire in the water/lye section ... fastening it to a washer with a nut and bolt. When I connected the wires and added the lye, the water got hot and turned dirty and blackish. I can tell the mercury is at least partially charged but it is still liquid and it just doesnt seem to collect the pt. I am sure I am doing something wrong. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
), unless you are talking about something like an AA or an ICP-MS analysis. If that is the case, did your assay also list any percentage of nickel or maybe cobalt. Nickel is an indicator element for platinum ores and basically means, no nickel, no platinum.








