What's new

plats, what are they and how do I access them?

AeroMike

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2007
Messages
349
Reaction score
226
Golden Thread
0
Location
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
OK, in my researches I came across an article written and one sentence really caught my eye. Here it is: "XXXXX Road was probably the site of a Revolutionary War barracks shown as “barracks in ruins” on a plat dated 1793."

Now I thin plats are kept by the tax office and it locates boundries right? but I need to access a plat from 1793 to try and pinpoint this possoble barracks sight but where do I start? thetax office? the library? where???????

thank you
 
The local tax office usually has the plats. Plats show the property lines and who owns the property along with whose land borders that parcel.
 
I have never seen a plat map that old. The oldest ones I have been able to find has been 1874. I don't know if you can even get one that old. Try historicmapworks.com
 
Do check the local historical society and the libraries, many carry old plats or atlases. How old was the article you cited?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom