Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
This is something I've "found" as a trend, so this is today's find...technically.

It's been bothering me for a while, but bothering me only because I don't understand. Why do (some) AT Pro users title their finds with "AT Pro finds......." Or something with AT Pro...

Great machines, and great company. I just find this as a trend. Currently I know of four threads featuring "AT Pro" in their title. I don't see other detectors named in titles nearly as much. I assume its because they're so awesome. Please explain...

Last edited:
Upvote 1

leviathanrick

Mar 31, 2013
Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am sure that this is in defense of all the E-Trac and CTX 3030 owners that think the AT-Pro can't possibly be that good since it costs so much less. I can tell you from experience that the AT-Pro works extremely well as does the Ace 350. Garrett is an outstanding company that backs their products. That being said I recently purchased a CTX 3030 and am very happy with it. Would not recommend it for a first detector.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure that this is in defense of all the E-Trac and CTX 3030 owners that think the AT-Pro can't possibly be that good since it costs so much less. I can tell you from experience that the AT-Pro works extremely well as does the Ace 350. Garrett is an outstanding company that backs their products. That being said I recently purchased a CTX 3030 and am very happy with it. Would not recommend it for a first detector.

Very well said rick!, garrett is great both with the performance and simplicity!, I just got an etrac and like your ctx, I wouldn't recommend it as a first detector, I would've easily quit by now lol!!!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am like Whadifind...I can't recall ever doing it, but I am sure I have mentioned it in a post. Being new to the hobby and having only ever owned Garretts, I am not going to tout it's performance because I have no experience with another brand to compare it to. The few good finds I have made in the last 2+ years, I have accredited to beginner's luck. I am sure this is true, because now that I feel like I know the ATP pretty well, the goods are drying up lol!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have watched so many Nuggetnoggin videos, that I guess it rubbed off on me.:dontknow:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have watched so many Nuggetnoggin videos, that I guess it rubbed off on me.:dontknow:

Dave, I like that young fellow cause it is so nice to see a youngster get enthusiastic about something worthwhile!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He would be the ultimate hunting buddy, kid is a beeping rockstar!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i don't think we need post title police, post whatever the heck you like. But I don't think commentary belongs in Today's Finds.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
i don't think we need post title police, post whatever the heck you like. But I don't think commentary belongs in Today's Finds.

Agreed. Who posted dat? Lol.

I posted it because all of the title posts I speak of are in "today's finds", so I thought perhaps only people on this area of the forum would know of this phenomenon. I always "find" them here:)

Oh, and I'm bored. I haven't hunted all weekend!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed. Who posted dat? Lol.

I posted it because all of the title posts I speak of are in "today's finds", so I thought perhaps only people on this area of the forum would know of this phenomenon. I always "find" them here:)

Oh, and I'm bored. I haven't hunted all weekend!

yeah jerk....atpro you!

lol, jk jk, I had to!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
yeah jerk....atpro you!

lol, jk jk, I had to!

Chris . I lied. I hunted for 15 minutes while my daughter played on the jungle Jim . 1939 Merc in 12 minutes.

Look for:
"CTX Scores Merc in Pounded park in 12 minutes at 5"!!!!!!!!!!"

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok, now youre a jerk, I worked 12 hrs today, wanna see what I found?

wait for it......................

BAM! thebignothing001.jpg

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
ok, now youre a jerk, I worked 12 hrs today, wanna see what I found?

wait for it......................

BAM! View attachment 1159100

The only reason I find things in my local park is because my kids are good luck charms.

"Kids and CTX find '39 Merc in 12 minutes! Detectorist actually sucks at finding things"

I digress. And I'm half in the bag. Can I end this thread now? Lol

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll throw in my two cents. I have used, and continue to use many detectors. For the longest time I said I would never own a Garrett simply because I consistently out hunted people I knew who used Garretts. My dealer recommended an AT Pro when I was looking for a versatile detector. Admittedly, I looked at him cross-eyed. But I bit because the cost was low compared to the other options.

I haven't looked back. Love the AT Pro. Lightweight. Fast. And can be used on land or in water. Occasionally, I will mention that I used the AT Pro on a particular hunt. I look at it as penance for bad mouthing Garrett for so long. They have put out a good machine with the AT Pro. It is an excellent value at the price.

I still like and use other machines, but Garrett is no longer viewed as the red-headed step child.

PBS

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll throw in my two cents. I have used, and continue to use many detectors. For the longest time I said I would never own a Garrett simply because I consistently out hunted people I knew who used Garretts. My dealer recommended an AT Pro when I was looking for a versatile detector. Admittedly, I looked at him cross-eyed. But I bit because the cost was low compared to the other options.

I haven't looked back. Love the AT Pro. Lightweight. Fast. And can be used on land or in water. Occasionally, I will mention that I used the AT Pro on a particular hunt. I look at it as penance for bad mouthing Garrett for so long. They have put out a good machine with the AT Pro. It is an excellent value at the price.

I still like and use other machines, but Garrett is no longer viewed as the red-headed step child.

PBS

Cool man. Thanks for the input. Great perspective on the subject.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't read through all the posts here, so hopefully I am not totally repeating someone by mistake. I think it is a very good question.

I think it is because in general for the futures, the AT Pro and Gold are great machines at their prices. I can see the machine easily going for $750-800. I think that it is a very common machine (demand is great) for that very reason and for most, it is the first "serious machine" that they have gotten into. I also think that the show "American Diggers" has given the machine a lot of publicity and someone feels more like a seasoned digger with it. The Garrett name also invokes something serious (in truth there are more "serious" machines). I bet you can ask people on the streets and most can name Garrett and White's but not as many will know the other brand names.

I am not trying to sound insulting in anyway with my opinions. I think it is a great machine, but I have the tendency to want something much harder to figure out and less used. I still think in most situations, the AT Pro or Gold will do just as well as a $1,000+ machine. I used my AT Pro for just under a year and had gotten kind of bored with it and for the same reasons stated above (I saw serious hunters using the Minelabs). I started to use the CTX. I have more than 2 years experience with the CTX and I have since gotten experience with other Minelab machines and it has made it much more easier to use them as well as more complicated detectors, because of my experiences in getting the most from the CTX. I came very close to purchasing a used Blisstool a number of times because you hear less about it, and it can be a little harder to set up versus other machines.

Ok, now that I read through some posts.....

I remember back in the mid-nineties, buying my first detector. It was a $250 Treasure ACE 300. I purchased it because Garrett was all I knew because my dad bought a used Ground Hog back in the 80s. Unfortunately, that machine kind of sucked. I already knew the concept of discrimination and couldn't find the sweet spot with that machine, nor could I keep if from falsing over open holes. The only two brands I knew were White's and Garrett. White's seemed like the most feature rich and costly machine at the time and it seemed that Garrett had some "starter models", but then the price jumped way up. I remember looking over the Sears Christmas catalogs and drooling over the Coinmaster models.

Last edited:

Maiden2112

Jul 10, 2014
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-TERRA 305
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All I'm using is a minelab xterra 305. My best find--- gold ring in my back yard. I don't know much about metal detecting but I'm learning from y'all;)

Attachments

• 1431222428362.jpg
    1431222428362.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 92

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess in my current circumstance (machines haven't been touched in a month)....I can lend my finds to Ames, because they produce a kick a-- pitchfork. .lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread