🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Please help identify this coin?!

Amanda0383

Tenderfoot
Jan 24, 2022
1000000656.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240403_191339_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20240403_191339_Messenger.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 13

Mdpartner

Sep 8, 2018
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that gold?

Picture of the other side?

Last edited:
Reactions: EKG
Upvote 1

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting find.

It appears to be a modern loose ‘copy’ of an ancient coin of Judaea. I can’t find an exact match to the obverse/reverse combination, but compare to this bronze quarter shekel from the first Jewish War, dated between AD 66 – AD 70 (being offered at almost $5,000):

Judaea.jpg

I suspect that the emblems have been copied from an authentic coin which was sufficiently worn that the copyist didn’t know what the depictions were. That one actually shows an etrog fruit (citron). The other side has two lulavim (date palm) branches side by side, although they look nothing like the two amorphous blobs on your coin. Further searching might turn up another coin of the period that has emblems with a greater resemblance to those blobs.

Last edited:
Upvote 4

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The (authentic) coin was minted at the Jerusalem Mint. The wording on the obverse is SH'NAT ARBA REVA (year four, quarter) and on the reverse is written L'GEULAT ZION (for the redemption of Zion); both in paleo-Hebrew script.
Don in SoCal.

Last edited:
Upvote 4
OP
OP
A

Amanda0383

Tenderfoot
Jan 24, 2022
The (authentic) coin was minted at the Jerusalem Mint. The wording on the obverse is SH'NAT ARBA REVA (year four, quarter) and on the reverse is written L'GEULAT ZION (for the redemption of Zion); both in paleo-Hebrew script.
Don in SoCal.
So mine is most likely a copy?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Amanda0383

Tenderfoot
Jan 24, 2022
Yes, but a modern and not very good copy... more in the territory of 'imitation, inspired by...'

I would think it probably came from a souvenir shop.
Man, I thought I had found something really good here for a minute! Thanks so much for the info!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions