What's new

Please help identifying Greek tetradrachm

Emil W

Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2021
Messages
482
Reaction score
1,101
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've collected ancient Roman and medieval coins for decades and have a few random Greek coins but have almost no knowledge about Greek coins. I've attempted to identify this tetradrachm but haven't come up with anything.

It has a nice patina, slightly golden in some areas, so it's a nice, attractive coin, but I want to identify it before framing it to hang with some of my other ancients (I display most of my coins, as you can see, in small frames. I don't like them hidden away where I can't readily enjoy them--I don't believe collections should be hidden).
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3833.webp
    IMG_3833.webp
    183.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3834.webp
    IMG_3834.webp
    194.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3835.webp
    IMG_3835.webp
    182.9 KB · Views: 79
I believe that is Phillip V. "the darling of hellas." wearing the royal diadem.

At least that is what coinoscope app tells me. You might want to download that app.
 
Nice coin.

No, it’s not Philip.

The legend reads BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΠΡΟΥΣΙΟΥ with the first word being a claim for kingship and the second word transliterating as “PROUSIOU”. It’s from the Greek Kingdom of Bithynia (now located in modern Turkey) and either King Prusias I, or his son King Prusias II.

Prusias I reigned from c.228-182 BC and was succeeded by his son as Prusias II from c.182 BC – 149 BC. It’s really difficult to tell them apart from the portraits alone, and they used the same titles, but I’m pretty sure this is Prusias I and from the latter part of his reign. Early portraits have him clean-shaven.

It’s stylistically similar to this one, with a “Zeus, standing” reverse design:

Prusias I.jpg
 
Thanks to both of you!

I'll definitely download the app.

I hadn't checked Kingdom of Bithynia, mainly because I didn't know what kingdoms were in modern Turkey and maybe I missed Prusias when I simply searched Turkey.

Being able to read Greek would obviously help.
 
Thanks to both of you!

I'll definitely download the app.

I hadn't checked Kingdom of Bithynia, mainly because I didn't know what kingdoms were in modern Turkey and maybe I missed Prusias when I simply searched Turkey.

Being able to read Greek would obviously help.
Google translate
 
Thanks, I just googled how to type Greek letters so I can use translate. I should have thought of that but obviously I didn't. LOL
 
Thanks to your identification I was able to find one with the same portrait, although a different die. Your assumption was correct, Prusias I.
 

Attachments

  • IB08952A.webp
    IB08952A.webp
    129.6 KB · Views: 62

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom