Please Help Me Decide/Start

pennynoob

Jul 14, 2013
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello fellow crhs! I am somewhat new to coin roll hunting. I have searched some halfs and some cents. With not much luck but still fun. My problem is there are too many cents to the dollar for me to look through! But I don't have enough cash not tied up that I can use for halfs. My question is what is you opinion on what I should hunt between NICKELS, DIMES, or QUARTERS. Your input is appreciated!

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, that is easy - I would recommend you collect
coins_01.gif
coins_05.gif
coins_10.gif
coins_25.gif
:laughing7:

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Recommend starting off on a small scale, however you should first read up on the particular coins you plan on searching & stacking, so that you don't throw back into the system coins that should have been saved. Suggest getting the 2014 edition of the U.S.Coins "Red Book", as a good reference guide to get you going. Good luck & HH.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should be able to get a few silver dimes. Start with customer rolls. Usually a little better odds than Machine wrapped.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The main thing is this: Its your money and your time. Spend both however you please.

My personal opinion is that with only a $100 bankroll, I'd recommend that you just stick with cents. That'll get you 4 boxes, and with all the varieties to look for, that will give you hours of fun.

If you want silver, my advice is to forget CRH and just use the $100 to buy it outright. Unless you live next door to both your pick-up and dump bank, you'll never even come close to paying for gas travelling back and forth to get $100 worth of coin at a time to CRH for silver. Also, $100 worth of quarters or dimes or halves will give you at most 10 minutes of fun. It doesn't always have to be about money, but if every silver dime was costing me say $10+ in gas, well that would take all of the fun right out of it for me.

Judging by what I've seen reported on this forum the past few years as well as my own experiences, I'd guesstimate that you could expect to find about 1 silver dime per $250 searched. At $100 per trip, you'll find 1 silver dime every 2.5 trips to the bank. I'd guess that you'd find 1 silver quarter per $2500-$3000 searched, or 1 per 25-30 trips. I also guess that you'd find about 1 war nickel per $125 searched, or nearly 1 per trip. See what I mean about not coming close to paying for gas?

Just some things to think about. Good luck!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
With only the $100 to play with, stay with the cents. That will give you 4-boxes, which means plenty of pieces to check & find: wheaties, IH's, coppers, & any other odd coins that may show up.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Go big or go home lol

Hay Chilly: Don't even dare to tell the young CRH'r to go big right away if he cant afford. As if to say when playing poker "put up OR shut up". We have all been there, to begin somewhere, to start with that FIRST box of coins. He will learn all in good time, with some helpful hints from US on this TN site, things he needs to do to avoid the stumbles & falls that we have all made. I wish him well in his endeavor to begin this hobby. He just needs besides starting money, TIME, PATIENCE, STAMINA, and a positive ATTITUDE.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
If it was me, with $100, I would go into a different bank every day asking for a penny box and any CWR halves they have.
Most silver halves I have found have been with <$100 of CWR
I drive past dozens of banks every day. For me dumping every day is also no big deal.
Search a Penny Box every day and;
Keep Indian Heads, Wheats, Canadian pre1960 for long term collection
Keep all copper Lincoln Memorials and newer Canadian coppers (1960-96) for sale on ebay/CL to help build your cash so you I can move up to nickels in future.

Of course your money, to do what you plz.

Last edited:

Chillydog

Jun 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hay Chilly: Don't even dare to tell the young CRH'r to go big right away if he cant afford. As if to say when playing poker "put up OR shut up". We have all been there, to begin somewhere, to start with that FIRST box of coins. He will learn all in good time, with some helpful hints from US on this TN site, things he needs to do to avoid the stumbles & falls that we have all made. I wish him well in his endeavor to begin this hobby. He just needs besides starting money, TIME, PATIENCE, STAMINA, and a positive ATTITUDE.

I was just kidding... My bad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread