Please help me ID this!

buzze

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2016
Sussex - England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings!

I recently got back into metal detecting and found this on a beach in the UK yesterday evening. It was encrusted into a rock and when I got home, left it to soak in vinegar overnight and managed to get most of the remaining barnacles/crust off. Just wondering if anyone could ID?

It is exactly 8 cm long and very heavy. It feels too heavy brass (feels like lead) and has no corrosion. I have had a suggestion it could be an 18th century thimble/needle holder but not entirely convinced. I can faintly hear something rattle inside. It appears to unscrew in the middle but is far too stiff to open without a lot of force and didn't want to end up ruining it.

View attachment 1352224

View attachment 1352179
(Click to enlarge)

Thanks in advance!

edit: replaced original image

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

buzze

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2016
Sussex - England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You need to get some help with the photos. Try daylight and some support for the camera.

Apologies. Wasn't the greatest pic! This one should be a bit clearer. I have updated OP. If not I will get one when it's daylight tomorrow. Cheers.

cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

buzze

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2016
Sussex - England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You need to put something in the picture so we can tell what size it is. Right now i'll guess a 2 foot rolling pin for pie crust.

hehe! The rolling pin comment made me smile. I did put 8cm in my original post.

Here's an uncropped pic next to a ruler to make the ratio a bit easier to see. Cheers.

IMG_7362.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have something similar that is sterling silver. It unscrews and is a corkscrew if this is the same thing. Looks similar in size.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

buzze

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2016
Sussex - England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have something similar that is sterling silver. It unscrews and is a corkscrew if this is the same thing. Looks similar in size.

I'm not sure there would be enough leverage for a corkscrew, but possible i suppose! Is yours 8cm in size too? So far nobody I have shown or asked in person has any idea as to what it is. The only other suggestion I have had is via a friend online who thinks it's a sewing/needle kit from 18th century. I might have to gently try opening it up tomorrow...

Upvote 0

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mine is similar in size. Its out at the other house or I'd get it and post pic for you. But when open a corkscrew comes out and both sides of the piece turns into the handle. Its not big and I personally wouldn't use it as a corkscrew but its quaint.

Upvote 0

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have to agree with the Kid on this one, I have found a similar one as well. Neat find!

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spray some WD-40 on it, and let's see if it's a lipstick tube or a sewing needle case.

LipstickCat.jpg

:)
Breezie

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a winner! I was thinking a match safe until I saw that link. Maybe apply a little heat to the seam (like a lighter or propane torch). That might break it loose. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Put it in the fridge for awhile and then try a little heat to one side of the joint
and then some WD40 or some type of penetrating oil and let it soak in for a bit before trying to twist it open.
re-cool and try heat on the other side if the first doesn't work.
Those latex rubber jar opening disks work well for gripping with out leaving marks.
Lets hope it's full of nuggets...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread