Please help with ID'ing a Crotal Bell and photos of some relics

Doug from NS

Apr 21, 2019
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Currently Fisher F75LTD SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I am new here, here some finds of the past year or so mostly from our camp but a few other sites as well.
20190424_171711.jpg

The spoons and one of the crotal bells are American I believe, the settlers of the camp were United Empire Loyalists. The watch case, but no watch, we found at the camp one week (with a 1920 5 cent silver in the same hole) and the next week at a friends farm about 100 km away we found watch workings but no case. The Cumberland Hat Badge from the late 1930's is scarce, they became the North Nova Scotia Highlanders in 1936. That musket ball would take your arm right off.

The crotal bell is marked, with W.B., I believe it to be American mid 1700's, can anyone help ID the maker? We were leaving the camp, everybody was in the truck and I just had a feeling. "Give me 5 minutes', I said, "I'm going to find something" and almost right away I found the bell. I wish I got that feeling more often.
20190424_171818.jpg

Here are some items from a old house, which burnt, that we detected with a lot of great finds, many coins (1770's - 1901), and other items. For some reason the large scissors are one of my favorite and serve as a paper weight on my desk.
20190424_173315.jpg

Upvote 8

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Doug, brilliant hunt!

The reasons so few people failed to survive early gunshot wounds was pneumonia. Big slow lead shot like this created a tremendous hydrostatic shock on the internal organs bursting capillaries and causing multiple blood clots, especially in the lungs. With the victim unable to exchange tidal air effectively the pneumococcus virus soon set in. It was extremely likely that the surgeon would not be able to find the ball. They often careened off of a bone and lodged somewhere else in the body. In relation to our hobby, reference the death of President William McKinley. Both Thomas Edison and Alexander Graham Bell build metal detectors in an attempt to find the slug that was gradually killing him with sepsis.

Best wishes and good luck!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great batch of relics. I always like to find the Crotal Bells.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some pretty old relics looks like you have some good hunting spots Well done

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread