Please help with value of 6lbs chalcocite with malachite

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been looking online to see what I should start the price on this large chalcocite with emerald green malachite specimen but every specimen I could find was tiny in comparison, I don't want to charge a crazy high price and I don't want to be a fool either, I want it to be fair for both parties, anyone on here knowledgeable on chalcocite malachite specimens, it's from greenlee county Az, your help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Sincerely,
Steve
20191228_090532.jpg 20191228_090410.jpg 20191228_090514.jpg 20191228_090404.jpg 20191228_090427.jpg

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is not much collector value in large common specimens Steve. Collectors are looking for exceptional examples small enough to fit in their collection box.

The type of ore you show here is commonly available near mines and around minor copper deposits worldwide. Chalcocite and malachite are mined by the thousands of tons every day.

You might have some luck selling it as decorative rock for gardens or landscaping. If you can find, recover and transport multi ton boulders of this material there are rich people in Scottsdale that will pay good money to have boulders installed in their yards.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Steve1236

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Clay, wow I amazed usually the bigger the specimens the more valuable they are, people on Ebay are asking from from 15$ to over a thousand dollars for specimens that look a little like mine but are much smaller in size, some not even attractive specimens at all, I guess it's just my luck lol. Thanks once again Clay Diggins.:icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The prices people want to sell for on eBay are not an indication of value. Asking price does not equate with actual selling price on eBay.

If you search for sold items you will find that the highest price a chalcocite and malachite specimen sold for was $18.00 with free shipping.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Steve1236

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenshot_20200101-102832_Chrome.jpg
Stuff like this had me confused, its tiny in comparison and sold for 50$

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That piece has distinct malachite crystals Steve. That's rare. Your piece is a weather worn mass which is how most malachite is found.

I have a friend with a well known historic copper mine that produces ultra fine sprays of delicate whole malachite crystals. Those specimens bring really good money on the order of a few hundred dollars for an exceptional undamaged piece.

Cabinet size or smaller rare specimens in excellent condition can bring good money. Visit the gem shows in Tucson next month and you will get a much better idea of actual retail market values. You can drive to Quartzsite this month and see a lot of material like what you have.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Steve1236

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I'm new to secondary copper minerals, how about these little crytals in the chalcocite cracks/openings, hard to capture on my phone but they look like tiny stalagmites.
20200101_111114.jpg 20200101_111055.jpg 20200101_111152.jpg 20200101_111010.jpg

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here and Here and Here are examples of collectable malachite specimens. Notice that the malachite crystals are undamaged and on an interesting and well formed matrix.

Those crystals in the links above are all primary malachite crystals. They are formed directly from the oxidation of copper. The type of malachite you show in your piece are secondary psuedomorphic crystals formed by the alteration of azurite to malachite. If you look closely at your piece you will see that the crystals in the vugs are not shaped like primary malachite crystals but follow the form of the altered azurite crystals.

Primary malachite crystals are much rarer than secondary malachite alteration forms.

You are on the right track. Try to find unweathered pieces with good crystal formation. Trim the best pieces to cabinet size or smaller and you will be much closer to marketable material. :thumbsup:

Chalcocite, Azurite and Malachite are all pretty common minerals, They can be beautiful and for that reason they will probably always have an appeal that will allow you to sell them. How much you can sell them for depends on the current market. Study what's available on the market and why some pieces sell for more than others. Right now the upper end of the market is in excellent undamaged specimens.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Steve1236

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a lot Clay, I really appreciate the help, I got it from an old stock collection my uncle had sitting in his backyard he got from a friend many years ago, I didn't prospect this piece. The card was so water damaged I couldn't really make anything out but that it was from greenlee county Az.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions