Colt Pocket Revolver with nickel plating found at a Civil War site near Shelbyville TN – Update: C.S.A. buckle recovered! - same belt!

Mike N Tn.

Jul 1, 2008
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600,
and Fisher F75
I found this .31 caliber pocket revolver with silver plating at a Civil War site near Shelbyville TN. It is the only Civil War era pistol I have found in 23 years of detecting. Please let me know the maker and model if anyone can ID it. The serial number is 23987. I've attached a list of some of the revolvers using the colt serial number lookup. So far I think it looks like a model 1849 Colt .31 pocket revolver with silvered backstrap. Initially I thought it was a .36 1862 police pocket revolver but after research I think it's model 1849.

Attachments

• .36 cal pocket pistol.JPG
    .36 cal pocket pistol.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 191
  • .36 cal pocket pistol b.JPG
    .36 cal pocket pistol b.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 130
  • .36 cal pocket pistol c.JPG
    .36 cal pocket pistol c.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 132
  • gun comparison.JPG
    gun comparison.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Serial number.JPG
    Serial number.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Colt look up.jpg
    Colt look up.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Colt cleaned 1.JPG
    Colt cleaned 1.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 87
  • Colt cleaned 2.JPG
    Colt cleaned 2.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Upvote 57

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well the frame and grip look like the Colt Bisby, but the hammer is shaped more like the Colt Rainmaker, but maybe it got bent upward.
I'm probably the least knowledgeable about this, I was leaning toward the Bisby, then the trigger guard lined up with the Colt Dragoon

OP
OP
Mike N Tn.

Mike N Tn.

Jul 1, 2008
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
and Fisher F75
How did you know it was 36 and not 44? It could be a Colt, looking at the design.
Honestly, I don’t know for sure. I’ve held a Colt Navy.36 and this one felt smaller in the trigger area. What about a Colt M-1862 Police Pocket Revolver? Could that be a match? You’re right on it being a Colt. I’ve posted a picture with a coin beside the trigger for size comparison.

Attachments

• gun comparison.JPG
    gun comparison.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 6

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the trigger guard and backstrap are brass with a nickel plating.
Everything about it says colt single action, there should be a serial number on the underside in front of the trigger guard. After about 1920 i think they started to put another serial number on the frame under the grips. If you can get a serial number i think you can look it up on colts website.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everything about it says colt single action, there should be a serial number on the underside in front of the trigger guard. After about 1920 i think they started to put another serial number on the frame under the grips. If you can get a serial number i think you can look it up on colts website.
That’s not a Colt single action army. That is definitely a black powder gun. Cylinder pin permanently attached to frame. No top strap on frame like SAA has. Several different sizes, pocket pistol up to Dragoon. All basically similar looking design. Grip frame could have also been silver plated instead of nickel.

OP
OP
Mike N Tn.

Mike N Tn.

Jul 1, 2008
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
and Fisher F75
The serial number is 23981 or the 1 might be a backwards P.

Attachments

• Serial number.JPG
    Serial number.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 13

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find, congrats!
Def an old open-top Colt percussion revolver.

Well the frame and grip look like the Colt Bisby, but the hammer is shaped more like the Colt Rainmaker, but maybe it got bent upward.

I'm probably the least knowledgeable about this, I was leaning toward the Bisby, then the trigger guard lined up with the Colt Dragoon
That goofy diagram has the Colt BISLY misspelled.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The serial number is 23981 or the 1 might be a backwards P.
Colt used the serial # 23981 on different models 37 times

Colt used the serial # 2398P once

Screen Shot 2024-03-02 at 1.15.45 PM.png

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this .31 caliber pocket revolver with silver plating at a Civil War site near Shelbyville TN. It is the only Civil War era pistol I have found in 23 years of detecting. Please let me know the maker and model if anyone can ID it. The serial number is 23987. I've attached a list of some of the revolvers using the colt serial number lookup. So far I think it looks like a model 1849 Colt .31 pocket revolver with silvered backstrap. Initially I thought it was a .36 1862 police pocket revolver but after research I think it's model 1849.
Nice !!

I think that I've dug a 5 shot cylinder (4 still loaded ) that I was told was off a .31 Colt Pocket Revolver .

Found in N Atlanta just W of the Chattahoochee River .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread