What's new

Pocket Watch

jadewhiskey

Full Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2005
Messages
100
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
New Hampshire
Hi All,

I know this is a pocket watch but, I can't make out what kind - wanted to see if anyone might know... Trying to figure out a year, if possible. I found it this summer at a civil war monument here in town. We have found all kinds of cool stuff at this park.

So, thanks in advance for looking... The pics don't do it justice - it is really beat up. But, the pics make it hard to see the roman numerals. It's about the size of a silver dollar.

watchfront.jpg


I can only make out ANC (might say FRANCE) between the hands so I can't tell what make it is. But, the numbers are roman numerals and they are blue.

Oh - just to note - it does not have a front cover that opens - it was an open-faced pocket watch.

Here is the back.

watchback.jpg


I haven't attempted to clean it - didn't want to ruin it...

Thanks for looking. I hope someone might be able to tell me a little more about this.

Thanks.

JadeWhiskey
 
One we found a bunch of pocket watches in the river. We used electrolis on them and were able to open the backs and read the makers name. I don't know if you want to be that drastic or not, but it is something to keep in mind. Nice find, by the way.
 
Upvote 0
If you really want to know what type it is and the age, you're going to have to open it or find more information on the outside. So I guess you'll have to balance keeping it in the found condition which looks nice to a soaked and teased item that may never show the same patina. You could try measuring it and looking to see if it is an odd size. You might get lucky.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
If you really want to know what type it is and the age, you're going to have to open it or find more information on the outside. So I guess you'll have to balance keeping it in the found condition which looks nice to a soaked and teased item that may never show the same patina. You could try measuring it and looking to see if it is an odd size. You might get lucky.

Daryl
agreed
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom