Point and reading glasses

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
In the 1970s and 1980s it was not uncommon to pick up 20 to 30 class A points and the same number of field grade. But after about 1995, with the explosion of the web and folks hunting relics (and also hunting the fields for 20+ years) finds have fallen to the point of one good point makes it a good relic hunting day.

I was in the field from about 5 until 6:45 April 30, 2009. I got rained on heavily. This field had already been hunted twice indicated from the footprints. But I had found some nice relics in this field going back 20 years. I found a rough pecked celt before the rain. Then the rain hit. Rained for about 20 minutes heavy. I thought about leaving but there was one small rise left. I almost left this for the next field to hunt but decided to hit it a bit longer.

So I called Pam at work while I walked to the rise and told her I would be about another hour before I got home. I started finding flakes right away. Then BAM. On about my fifth pass I walked right to the point, it was right in front of me and made me take a breath. After that it was on. I found a relic or part of a relic about every ten minutes for about the next 40 minutes. Most were common field grade points. Te rise I found this point on had produced many nice cobbs knives over the years.

I did not even notice that in all my excitement my reading glasses had fallen from the neck of my tee shirt. I was just giddy picking up point.

I got home and after cleaning my finds, I was looking for my glasses and determined I must of lost them in the field. I gave up on them and forgot about them until the next day. Dang those were my favorite glasses. So I told the wife I am going to get my glasses and should be home in an hour or so.

I had to completely retrace my steps from the previous day, and the field is BIG. Of course I looked for more relics - but did not find one. I was not sure how reading glasses would look in the sunshine in the field so I tossed the glasses I had that day over my shoulder in back of me and turned to find them. Yep - not to difficult. On I went. After walking the ENTIRE field again, I finally found them on the rise which produced the finds.

Attached is the find of the day, a close up of the glasses and a distant shot of the glasses. See them? I have determined that relics are very easy to find in the field. Virtually transparent reading glasses are very, very difficult. Darrell used to say I could smell the relics, and walk right to them.

Attachments

• image_6.jpg
    image_6.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 487
  • image_7.jpg
    image_7.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 491
  • image_40.jpg
    image_40.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 488
  • image_42.jpg
    image_42.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 475
Upvote 14
Killer finds and story,LOL. I had to put on my glasses to find yours. Nice hunt and thanks for sharing. Good looking finds.
Its not near the hunting it used to be with all the new hunters and the farmers going to no till or putting them in hay. I pass many fields that used to be great but are over grown or in Pasteur now.
So is life and we must hunt smarter and be first.
Happy Hunting
TnMtns

Interesting, and so very true. I remember finding 60 to 70 broken points and 10 or so nice ones in a day on more than one occasion back in the 80s. I long for the days of farmers using traditional type plows to turn over the soil 10 inches or more deep. Those days are long gone around here.

Way to go on finding your specs. I have lost stuff while walking a field as well and it sure felt good when I was able to come up with it. I would love to see some pics of that baby in hand.

Chuck

Here is a photo of the relic when I found it in my hand.

Attachments

• image_45.jpg
    image_45.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 192
In the 1970s and 1980s it was not uncommon to pick up 20 to 30 class A points and the same number of field grade. But after about 1995, with the explosion of the web and folks hunting relics (and also hunting the fields for 20+ years) finds have fallen to the point of one good point makes it a good relic hunting day.

I was in the field from about 5 until 6:45 April 30, 2009. I got rained on heavily. This field had already been hunted twice indicated from the footprints. But I had found some nice relics in this field going back 20 years. I found a rough pecked celt before the rain. Then the rain hit. Rained for about 20 minutes heavy. I thought about leaving but there was one small rise left. I almost left this for the next field to hunt but decided to hit it a bit longer.

So I called Pam at work while I walked to the rise and told her I would be about another hour before I got home. I started finding flakes right away. Then BAM. On about my fifth pass I walked right to the point, it was right in front of me and made me take a breath. After that it was on. I found a relic or part of a relic about every ten minutes for about the next 40 minutes. Most were common field grade points. Te rise I found this point on had produced many nice cobbs knives over the years.

I did not even notice that in all my excitement my reading glasses had fallen from the neck of my tee shirt. I was just giddy picking up point.

I got home and after cleaning my finds, I was looking for my glasses and determined I must of lost them in the field. I gave up on them and forgot about them until the next day. Dang those were my favorite glasses. So I told the wife I am going to get my glasses and should be home in an hour or so.

I had to completely retrace my steps from the previous day, and the field is BIG. Of course I looked for more relics - but did not find one. I was not sure how reading glasses would look in the sunshine in the field so I tossed the glasses I had that day over my shoulder in back of me and turned to find them. Yep - not to difficult. On I went. After walking the ENTIRE field again, I finally found them on the rise which produced the finds.

Attached is the find of the day, a close up of the glasses and a distant shot of the glasses. See them? I have determined that relics are very easy to find in the field. Virtually transparent reading glasses are very, very difficult. Darrell used to say I could smell the relics, and walk right to them.
Nice story. I have lost several pair myself over the years doing different activities. Good thing their so cheap!

The only “dirt turning” I see around here is when the knife the anhydrous ammonia into the soil. It’s not the same as plowing, but does have an effect on hunting.

Great story and finds. With my experience losing and/or misplacing my glasses around the farm, I would have suggested searching in reverse order that you walked the field.

Cool finds and story, dognose. I lose my sunglasses sometimes, but it usually turns out they're above the bill of my hat. There's not that many arrowhead hunters these days where I grew up, I know some excellent spots in SWOK I check out when I'm down there, but anymore it's just like I'm a curator, checking to see if the site is still intact, and pot hunters haven't raided them and dug up graves. I like the folks who appreciate the history and workmanship of arrowheads they find, have a respect for the culture, and have no use for those who think each arrowhead is worth hundreds of dollars on e-bay.

Cool finds and story, dognose. I lose my sunglasses sometimes, but it usually turns out they're above the bill of my hat. There's not that many arrowhead hunters these days where I grew up, I know some excellent spots in SWOK I check out when I'm down there, but anymore it's just like I'm a curator, checking to see if the site is still intact, and pot hunters haven't raided them and dug up graves. I like the folks who appreciate the history and workmanship of arrowheads they find, have a respect for the culture, and have no use for those who think each arrowhead is worth hundreds of dollars on e-bay.
Well said. I never see $$$. I’m respectful of what ancient people accomplished and I feel blessed to be the recipient of their skills/craftsmanship.

Many property owners think they are worth 100s or more. I’ve lost permission a couple of times due to that. I do offer to share my finds with them which sometimes helps. You just can’t go often as you would like or they think you are getting rich.

Your story of glasses kind of reminds me of the time a guy said he lost his log chain and told me where within 100’ never would have guessed it would take an hour or more with a metal detector to find a 6’ chain laying on the surface.

I can’t imagine that productivity in a field, never got to hunt a plowed field. Last year I could barely tell the fields had been planted. I may get a full to most of a point once a month.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back