Point(s) Type and I.D. Help Needed.

luckyinkentucky

Feb 29, 2008
Owensboro, Kentucky
I found this today while hunting. Can someone tell me what type it is? I also found the base of a piece that I can't identify. Could someone help me with that as well?

Side A

DSC00293.jpg

Side B

DSC00292.jpg

This piece shows large flaking with some grinding on all sides, and the break is at the top. What is it?

DSC00288.jpg

Upvote 0

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I like the color and patina of that top piece- kind of a non descript piece IMO and likely to be called something different depending on what part of the country you're from... that other one though.... holy cow.. a paleo piece IMO but I don't know what to slap on it for a name, doesn't matter, heart breaker no matter what!

OP
OP
L

luckyinkentucky

Feb 29, 2008
Owensboro, Kentucky
The first piece almost looks like it was reworked several times during it's lifetime. I'm thinking it started out as a projectile point, and was reworked to a knife of some sort.

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
It does look like a paleo base that was broken before final fluting...or an unfluted paleo.... nice :o!!
blah blah on the other piece, LOL ;D :P ::) :D ;)

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
luckyinkentucky said:
The first piece almost looks like it was reworked several times during it's lifetime. I'm thinking it started out as a projectile point, and was reworked to a knife of some sort.
IMO it was made and used as a projectile point- what makes you think it was a knife?

OP
OP
L

luckyinkentucky

Feb 29, 2008
Owensboro, Kentucky
Cannonman17 said:
luckyinkentucky said:
IMO it was made and used as a projectile point- what makes you think it was a knife?

The tip appears to have been reworked to a round tip instead of a typical projectile point tip.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread