Port Angeles,Washington

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
I remember when the discovery of the rock with the writing was announced on the news years ago. I can't recall the year. The media was not given the details about the exact location of the stone. The story was written in the Peninsula Daily News.

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
This story appeared briefly in the Seattle Times. It was also featured in a segment on Unsolved Mysteries. In the story, the show did not disclose the exact location of the rock with the engraved symbols. The rock was found in 1988 and is located in Tumwater Creek near Port Angeles. The way the story was told on the TV show, a week after the boys found the rock all kinds of good luck happened to the family. The Steve Johnson family was offered a store in a local mall, and started prospering in their new business.

There hasn't been any explanations of how old the engravings are, or who did them, or what meaning is conveyed by the symbols. The symbols don't appear to be badly weathered. Perhaps someone could photograph the rock and post the picture on this thread.

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I actually have a friend that grew up in Port Angeles and still lives there.

I asked him about this and unfortunately he mentioned that the general word around town was that it was a hoax. :/

OP
OP
O

oh-6a

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2009
OH-6A here; Sorry for the delay!If your from Port Angeles,or have someone from this city, What`s the name of the water shed (creek) , the rock is located in ,and if possible the land owner name or location ,any help would be appreciated, WHITE 13 OUT

Fludgecow

Nov 3, 2012
alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes it is Tumwater Creek and not that far from the road on unsolved mysteries and it was a movie theatre and two stores and if you know were the apts are in the show it cant be to far from them if a 6 year old can walk there and back on a day trip and the rock is real even had a rubbing the rock tell about 2005 when it was stolen from the house in AZ if it is still there it was on the right ascending bank after a right bend in the creek hope someone finds it would like to know if it is still there

Last edited:

jafish76

Oct 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know where the location is I grew up with the kids who found it in the 80'same and he took me to the spot it's located behind battery shop on truck route easiest access would be hwy 101 north side behind bruch bruch access road

jaxonfive

Jan 28, 2018
Port Angeles
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mystery rock

:icon_study:I`m looking for long time res of Port Angeles,Washington ,information about two boys finding a rock in Moris cr or tumwater cr

Hi, I am the original one of 2 kids that found this rock and I have proof. The 2 kids that found this rock was Jamie and yours truly. After Jamie and I found the rock, we got in a fight and stopped talking and I haven't spoken to him since almost 30 years ago but Jamie knows the actual truth, whether he wants to admit it or not. I can tell you exactly where he use to live and what he looks like. The facts that were portrayed in the tv series unsolved mysteries was false or at least highly inaccurate. I have an object in my possession that I found 10 ft away from that rock that I have kept for almost 30 years. This has surely been a good luck charm for me and almost certainly native american. I live in Port Angeles and have lived here all my life. please feel free to ask me anything you want

My email is
[email protected]

bopjohnson

Feb 23, 2023
Mystery rock

Hi, I am the original one of 2 kids that found this rock and I have proof. The 2 kids that found this rock was Jamie and yours truly. After Jamie and I found the rock, we got in a fight and stopped talking and I haven't spoken to him since almost 30 years ago but Jamie knows the actual truth, whether he wants to admit it or not. I can tell you exactly where he use to live and what he looks like. The facts that were portrayed in the tv series unsolved mysteries was false or at least highly inaccurate. I have an object in my possession that I found 10 ft away from that rock that I have kept for almost 30 years. This has surely been a good luck charm for me and almost certainly native american. I live in Port Angeles and have lived here all my life. please feel free to ask me anything you want

My email is
[email protected]
That's amazing didn't know you came back from the dead you passed away in early 2017

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread