What's new

Possible Civil War plate?

USMC18

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2014
Messages
91
Reaction score
127
Golden Thread
0
Location
Chautauqua County NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went metal detecting today at a old home site that is now an open field. My second target at this site, I pulled out this plate with "US" on it. It looks a lot like those Civil War buckles. My mouth dropped down to the ground when I noticed the US on it! It is pretty messy on the back. Does anybody know what this could be? Some other notable finds for today was a 1939 wheat cent, a heavy broken padlock and a piece to a toy revolver.
 

Attachments

  • 1457398023252.webp
    1457398023252.webp
    15.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 1457398036944.webp
    1457398036944.webp
    18.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 1457398049174.webp
    1457398049174.webp
    20.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 1457398059544.webp
    1457398059544.webp
    14.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 1457398069799.webp
    1457398069799.webp
    20.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 1457398080234.webp
    1457398080234.webp
    17.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 1457398090194.webp
    1457398090194.webp
    13.6 KB · Views: 116
Upvote 12
Looks like a US bridle rossette!

Awesome! So is this Civil War era? This area I'm metal detecting in did have a high amount of Civil War activity.
 
I went metal detecting today at a old home site that is now an open field. My second target at this site, I pulled out this plate with "US" on it. It looks a lot like those Civil War buckles. My mouth dropped down to the ground when I noticed the US on it! It is pretty messy on the back. Does anybody know what this could be? Some other notable finds for today was a 1939 wheat cent, a heavy broken padlock and a piece to a toy revolver.

Lucky! One of the properties I hunt has tales of the landowners as children pulling them (the bridal rosettes) up out of the plowed fields. Been hunting for one!
Nice save!
 
Here's a picture of what it would have looked like in place during it's time in US military service:

654374B8-ABA0-44CE-8109-473717040746.webp
 
Thanks for the answers guys. Im definetly going to hit this spot hard.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom