Possible fossil found in East Tennessee?

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300, current main user.
Garret AT Propointer, current main user.
Garrett GTAX750, classic machine and I love it!
Bounty hunter tracker iv, missing knob bought used on eBay... Still find
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to start, I KNOW this is a natural occurrence of some kind. And I was told to come to this section after posting in "WHAT IS IT?".My parents and I went to one of our spots we search for arrowheads and the like on the Nolichucky River in Erwin Tennessee. Just across the state line near where we live in North Carolina. We found 1 arrowhead and a few other relics on this trip, but this rock really caught our eye. We have been searching the creeks and rivers in the area for years and haven't found anything like this before. I am well aware it is a natural formation of some kind. I just wonder if this is some kind of fossil possibly? Some other type of erosion etc? I know we don't really have a real specific fossil spot in our area from my research. But this has us puzzled. The "holes" are very strange and appear to come in sets of three multiple times on this stone. I have no real knowledge of rocks and minerals, but I know this is UNUSUAL in our area. The "holes", for lack of a better term, are about .5" diameter for the smallest and around 1" diameter for the larger "holes". I'm unsure of the material, but it is solid and hard rock of some sort. I appreciate any info and I will gladly add any info I possibly forgot. I don't have the rock in front of me, but I can get more info instantly if needed. Thanks in advance for any info!

Attachments

• 20220218_182958.jpg
    20220218_182958.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 34
  • 20220218_183009.jpg
    20220218_183009.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
  • 20220218_183014.jpg
    20220218_183014.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 39
  • 20220218_183019.jpg
    20220218_183019.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
  • 20220218_183022.jpg
    20220218_183022.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
  • 20220218_183025.jpg
    20220218_183025.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • 20220218_183030.jpg
    20220218_183030.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
  • 20220218_183034.jpg
    20220218_183034.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
  • 20220218_183041.jpg
    20220218_183041.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You posted this same thing a few weeks or month or so back? Did no one answer you? I thought they did. It looks like simply sedimentary rock to me.

Do you know the laws on gathering Native American artifacts in Tennessee? If not you should make sure you know before a TWRA Agent or TVA comes along and you are in the wrong place.

Just trying to help. They can be brutal sometimes. Please know the law. I will talk to my friend about this. He works for TVA so may know the rules.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MrMarsHill

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You posted this same thing a few weeks or month or so back? Did no one answer you? I thought they did. It looks like simply sedimentary rock to me.

Do you know the laws on gathering Native American artifacts in Tennessee? If not you should make sure you know before a TWRA Agent or TVA comes along and you are in the wrong place.

Just trying to help. They can be brutal sometimes. Please know the law. I will talk to my friend about this. He works for TVA so may know the rules.
Yes we know the rules. We only hunt on PRIVATE OWNED land with FULL PERMISSION. I appreciate the concern... but we know what we are doing I assure you. Yes, I posted this in "what is it" and only got 1 guess and was referred here. I always do my research first, if no answers come up I post in "what is it". And if I need to, in a more specific category. Noone seemed to know in "what is it", and several suggested I post here. Thanks for the reply!

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes we know the rules. We only hunt on PRIVATE OWNED land with FULL PERMISSION. I appreciate the concern... but we know what we are doing I assure you. Yes, I posted this in "what is it" and only got 1 guess and was referred here. I always do my research first, if no answers come up I post in "what is it". And if I need to, in a more specific category. Noone seemed to know in "what is it", and several suggested I post here. Thanks for the reply!
You are welcome my friend. Trying to make sure you are OK. I have a friend that did not know the law so lost a boat.

Interesting rocks but I am pretty sure just sedimentary, but they are interesting. Some on here may tell you exactly what period from.

And since you are sure of rules, I am sure you know TVA flood plain on private property is included in the TVA coverage. They try to control everything.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MrMarsHill

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are welcome my friend. Trying to make sure you are OK. I have a friend that did not know the law so lost a boat.

Interesting rocks but I am pretty sure just sedimentary, but they are interesting. Some on here may tell you exactly what period from.

And since you are sure of rules, I am sure you know TVA flood plain on private property is included in the TVA coverage. They try to control everything.
I appreciate it! Yes they have their fingers in everything lol. We hunt in the general vicinity of the Nolichucky river... but not in or on the river or anything like that. Not even very close honestly, but thats the nearest landmark you can find. I don't like to disclose anywhere near my hunting spots(even though private anyway)... so I give a general location and landmarks folks might understand. We have exclusive permission on family land here. I appreciate your suggestion as well! I felt like the answer to this was probably just interesting erosion(it usually is 😆)... but I'm NO EXPERT on this at all lol. This was my mom's find actually... I just know I've not seen a rock like this, and I've stared at a LOT of rocks in the area 😂 I hope your friend can get his boat back... good way to learn where you're NOT supposed to be hunting I guess!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread