What's new

Possible ID tag? Need help.......

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2007
Messages
3,295
Reaction score
2,665
Golden Thread
0
Location
Vicksburg Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to help get an ID on this one. The size of a quarter and it is silver. It is not a seated coin as the arms are all wrong. Any help??? It is similar to some CW ID tags. I am mostly interested in what type of coin?
 

Attachments

  • Coin.webp
    Coin.webp
    53.5 KB · Views: 342
  • coin a.webp
    coin a.webp
    34.7 KB · Views: 339
It looks like an ID tag. Can't say for sure if it is CW. My instinct tells me it is late 19th C. A tag you could order from a catalog.

I'm trying to figure out N. HC Co. Ohio. Where did you find it? Any other relics found with it?

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
I agree with DCMatt You can just about see the design of the front on the back. If it were a coin that was engraved I'm not sure you would see it. It's patriotic in nature so could have been a soldiers. I have no idea what NHC would stand for.
A cool piece though
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
I have no idea what NHC would stand for.

It could stand for New Hampshire Cavalry .

HH,
Donny
 
Upvote 0
I don't think it would have Ohio on it if it were from a N H cavalry unit.
 
Upvote 0
N.H C.Co. on your ID tag may mean North Hampton, Clark County, Ohio.

There are four towns in Ohio that would use the initials N.H. These are; New Hampshire,
New Haven, New Holland & North Hampton. If you keyword "Spence, one of the town names &
Ohio", the only town that came up with anything that mentioned the name Spence was
North Hampton in Clark County, Ohio. Spence appears to be an old name in North Hampton.
There's even a Spence Road in North Hampton.

Deeper search adding keywords like Civil War, Spanish American War, National Guard,
militia, etc. didn't bring up anything.

A quick search through the Clark County Historical Society online archives reveals nothing on an M. Spence, including on their veterans list. You could email them a picture of your ID tag. http://www.heritagecenter.us/

Perhaps its a patriotic ID tag with no military association.

I agree with DCMatt's observation that it may be a catalogue item & late 19th century.

The above could be relevant or be a total blind alley.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom